Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 19:21   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
ProNautic battery charger question

Installed this unit (ProNautic 12.50) about 3 weeks ago.
I like it and seems to work well,however today was the same condition,
when I returned to the boat the charger was on "maintenance" with the cooling fan on,all other indicators as shown, voltmeter showing 12.4? or 12.8 cannot remember.
Since needed to work in the boat let it be,but after 1 hour decided to shut off the AC from shore power and reconnect.
The unit shut off and re started as should,started the charging cycle,showing a charging 13.8 as always on the first stage.
Did the same few days after install 3 weeks ago,and after the disconnect/connect shore power all was good until now?
The air coming from the vent is cool,room temp while blowing.
Is this something you noticed on your charger?not sure that if left alone will just follow a cycle and re start to charge on its own.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProNautic 12-50.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	179905  
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 19:41   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: ProNautic battery charger question

I assume you set the configuration options to match your bank's specs?

Have you been monitoring V and A output over a few charge cycles from say 30+% DoD?

Not saying anything is "wrong", but that is needed when commissioning new gear, you cannot just assume OOTB defaults will suit your setup.

And sitting on shore power is very different from cycling with your genset out on the water.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 19:43   #3
cruiser

Good resource here, https://marinehowto.com/installing-a...ttery-charger/

Check out the rest of the site too
Old 30-10-2018, 20:35   #4

I have seen them do this. they should only do this if the batteries are full. if the batteries are at 12.4 and the charger is off that is not good. if they are at 12.8 then that is ok. it should kick it by itself after a while.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 20:37   #5

Thanks John
The charger was configured and set up for the banks requirements
Strange thing is run very well and is right on the money for each cycling stage.
And did it for last 3 weeks
Not sure is a problem with this unit or may be is normal ? and other times does it and am not there to see it?
Posted the pic to show there are no faults detected,the unit is on maintenance stage however the voltmeter is below maintenance level and the cooling fun keeps on my even as the air is room temperature like the unit ignores been cool?
Old 30-10-2018, 20:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I have seen them do this. they should only do this if the batteries are full. if the batteries are at 12.4 and the charger is off that is not good. if they are at 12.8 then that is ok. it should kick it by itself after a while.
Thanks
Will keep a closer supervision
After the initial hiccup 3 weeks ago it ran flawless and each cyclen /stage will show the correct voltage.
Hope is ok I dread just thinking about uninstall and shipping it.
Old 31-10-2018, 05:02   #7
cruiser

No need to guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Have you been monitoring V and A output over a few charge cycles from say 30+% DoD?

Not saying anything is "wrong", but that is needed
Old 31-10-2018, 09:17   #8

Were your batteries connected and switched on? (depending on how you connected the charge leads). If the charger sees no batteries and it’s in battery charge mode, bc versus power supply Ps, it will read 0/0
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 15:40   #9

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Not sure is a problem with this unit or may be is normal ? and other times does it and am not there to see it?
Posted the pic to show there are no faults detected,the unit is on maintenance stage however the voltmeter is below maintenance level and the cooling fun keeps on my even as the air is room temperature like the unit ignores been cool?
Pretty sure you have a faulty unit. Once the Bulk/Absorption (charge/condition in Promariner speak) phases are complete, the unit should go into Auto Maintain mode (really "energy conservation mode"). At that point, only the auto maintain, power, and standby LEDs should be lit, and the fan should be off. Since your battery type is set to AGM, once in auto maintain, it should remain this way (in standby) until voltage drops below 13.0, and then should fire back up and you should see positive charging amps with voltaqe climbing until it gets back up to 13.6. But voltage should never drop back below 13 when set to AGM.

You should probably give ProNautic a call to confirm, but I can't think of a situation where you should see 0.0 on both displays, and have cooling fans running at max speed.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 16:07   #10

Boat: Beneteau 343

Following as I just bought same unit
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Pretty sure you have a faulty unit. Once the Bulk/Absorption (charge/condition in Promariner speak) phases are complete, the unit should go into Auto Maintain mode (really "energy conservation mode"). At that point, only the auto maintain, power, and standby LEDs should be lit, and the fan should be off. Since your battery type is set to AGM, once in auto maintain, it should remain this way (in standby) until voltage drops below 13.0, and then should fire back up and you should see positive charging amps with voltaqe climbing until it gets back up to 1been doing fine 3.6. But voltage should never drop back below 13 when set to AGM.

You should probably give ProNautic a call to confirm, but I can't think of a situation where you should see 0.0 on both displays, and have cooling fans running at max speed.
==============================================
yes,agree,was hoping for some (not sure what)to avoid having to send the unit,but seems is a faulty unit,after I disconnected shore power and back on is almost like a reset of the charger and all is back to normal.Interesting the unit remembers the settings to current batteries type as was set up initially.
thanks
Old 03-11-2018, 03:33   #12

Boat: 1975 hunter 30

Sometimes when the power has slicked or gone off they will do what you describe,turn off breaker for a couple of minutes and it will reset.Hope this helps.
captrick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:09   #13

Hi captrick2011
thanks
that is my observation too.
is almost like a reboot on a computer.
and it remembers all settings
shut the power off and re start/.
done exactly that twice and all is fine.
the only thing I worry is if I leave the boat unattended then might be a problem.
Need to call these guys and see what they have to offer.
thanks again
Old 30-08-2022, 17:38   #14

What ever happened with your charger? Mine is doing the same thing showing zero on both displays
Duhgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 18:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhgman View Post
What ever happened with your charger? Mine is doing the same thing showing zero on both displays
====================
if yours still under warranty may return/exchange?, contact their service?
I exchanged once, yet the new unit does it every so often, in fact, I am on the (boatyard) and yesterday have to reboot!!!, glad I go daily.
Have no answer, just live with it.
Review my notes when have to leave the boat somewhere.

Tags
battery, charger