Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 19:35   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Promariner Pronautic 1250P lug sizing?

I am replacing a failed Iota DLS-55 charger with a new Promariner Pronautic 1250P. It arrives in a few days and I am trying to get the jump on my install planning.

The Iota was wired to the battery with AWG 2. They barely fit into the Iota's open terminals, secured with set screws.

Anyways, I've got AWG 2 there...what are my options for lugs that will fit to the Pronautic's captive screw terminals?

Does anyone know what size screws they are and will any special lugs be required or trimming of lugs to fit, coming from AWG 2?

I've checked the manual and don't see it specified, although AWG 2 is on the list of wire sizes recommended so I have faith it will work somehow. There is an asterisked "big wires need special connectors" disclaimer.
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 05:13   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Promariner Pronautic 1250P lug sizing?

Have you called and asked the ProMariner people? Their tech support guys have been helpful on the phone when I've had questions in the past...

-Chris
Old 16-07-2014, 05:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, patja.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 08:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Have you called and asked the ProMariner people? Their tech support guys have been helpful on the phone when I've had questions in the past...

-Chris
What? Ask the people who actual make and support the thing? Crazy talk!

Yes that thought occurred to me right after I posted, and I submitted the question via the form on their website. Woke up this morning to a response that cleared up my questions: 1/4" lugs for AWG 2 should work fine. I record the response here for future generations seeking the same answer.

I was always worried about that Iota charger. I think it is more of an RV device. Case in point the "just pop a bare wire in and clamp with a set screw" method of connecting the charging cables, and the need to plug it into an AC receptacle.

Not sure how, but the negative DC charge cable had become quite oxidized at the end where it is inserted to the Iota and there is evidence of some heat damage in its insulation at that point and on the Iota's terminal that accepts it. Looking forward to updating the install for the Promariner with a proper crimped lug and heatshrink.

Thanks!
Old 16-07-2014, 10:38   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
What? Ask the people who actual make and support the thing? Crazy talk!

Yes that thought occurred to me right after I posted, and I submitted the question via the form on their website. Woke up this morning to a response that cleared up my questions: 1/4" lugs for AWG 2 should work fine. I record the response here for future generations seeking the same answer.

I was always worried about that Iota charger. I think it is more of an RV device. Case in point the "just pop a bare wire in and clamp with a set screw" method of connecting the charging cables, and the need to plug it into an AC receptacle.

Not sure how, but the negative DC charge cable had become quite oxidized at the end where it is inserted to the Iota and there is evidence of some heat damage in its insulation at that point and on the Iota's terminal that accepts it. Looking forward to updating the install for the Promariner with a proper crimped lug and heatshrink.

Thanks!
That could be all that was wrong with the Iota charger. Iota makes decent stuff, although not strictly made for the marine environment. A poor connection / high resistance on the return would likely cause it to not perform. Just a thought.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 12:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
That could be all that was wrong with the Iota charger. Iota makes decent stuff, although not strictly made for the marine environment. A poor connection / high resistance on the return would likely cause it to not perform. Just a thought.
That thought occurred to me as well. I already had the new charger ordered though, and I am not excited about the thought of putting something that has failed back into service. Some of the symptoms of failure, e.g. showing a low charge voltage of around 12.7v could be due to increased impedance. Other issues I saw last week such as coming back to the boat and seeing the house bank voltage down to 12.4 and no sign that the charger was going to do anything about it on its own though make me want to retire it. I've got it disconnected and am putting up with warm beer and the occasional top-up from the alternator until the new charger arrives on Friday. I'll put the Iota into my home workshop where I can keep an eye on it and hopefully it will keep my retired batteries ready for the apocalypse.
Old 18-07-2014, 00:33   #7

I think they are 1/4" maybe #10.

probably says in manual which is probably online.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 01:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Please let us know your experience with the 1250. I am on the cusp of ordering the 1230...

PS - bare wire "screw down" connections do not belong on a boat - especially ones with this much current on them...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine