Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 16:56   #1

Boat: Ranger 33
Promariner Galvanic Isolator Ventilation

I have a new 30A Promariner Galvanic Isolator to install. The spec sheet says it should be installed in a dry and ventilated location. The whole unit looks like a big heat sink. Does it get hot during normal operation? Or only when there is an AC ground fault? I'd prefer to install it in the space behind my electrical panel. The space is not completely closed off, but it would certainly be nuzzled in with some wiring. The AC system is protected with ELCI. And I image if an AC ground fault did occur, it would trip the ELCI and the galvanic isolator wouldn't ever get hot (unless it does get hot during normal operation).
expozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 17:00   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Promariner Galvanic Isolator Ventilation

Good moring Exposin, I am about to install a GI myself and everyone one of the instruction manuals I have read state the unit should be installed as close as possible to the incoming power outet if possible. I whole heartedly agree that the unit should be installed in dry and well ventilated area. I would not put the unit behind my switchboard as this may be a source of heat generation in itself.

Greg H
lagoon 440
Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:42   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Mine is in my aft cabin locker on side where power comes in to boat. I have seen many other installed in the stern lazarette locker which is usually reasonably dry and ventilated. Put it up high if you put it in there.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 20:13   #4

Boat: Ranger 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Mine is in my aft cabin locker on side where power comes in to boat. I have seen many other installed in the stern lazarette locker which is usually reasonably dry and ventilated. Put it up high if you put it in there.
My lazarette is my engine room. But I suppose engine heat wouldn't be a real issue. Because why's the engine running while the shore power is plugged in.
expozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 11:12   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Ditto ozsailer and GreenWave...............nice benefit is they do not make any noise unlike an isolation transformer that that emits a small high pitch hum.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galvanic isolator, marine