Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 12:37   #1

Problem with Xantrex inverter

Hi all, looking for some help troubleshooting this problem...

A few weeks back, some water got into a connection between two shore power cables and really fried them. Burned up the negative wire on both cables from end to end.

I replaced the shore power cables along with the shore power inlet on the boat. Everything came back on and is working great. Even the inverter (at least it's fan) is running when shore power is connected. HOWEVER, if I remove shore power (at the AC panel or by unplugging from the dock), the Xantrex (MS2000) complains with an F06 fault - Too many AC loads. I've unplugged any and all plugs from AC, and still the same fault.

The manual says, "Check connected loads for short circuits", which seems like the correct way forward. What am I looking for? Burned out outlets? Maybe something at the AC panel? Something in between? Something else entirely?

Thanks!!
svpandion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 15:12   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Problem with Xantrex inverter

OK, there is no "negative" on shore power. It should be AC, with hot, neutral, and ground. The odds are that the wet cable created some type of short that put current on some parts of the electronics that weren't supposed to get it, and you've got some blown electronics in there. I'd suspect it needs a trip back to Xantrex for one of the electronics boards to be replaced.

DO NOT leave it powered up, at all, unattended. There's a potential fire hazard when that type of equipment has gone psychotic.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 13:32   #3

So you're thinking the problem is with the Xantrex unit itself? How would you troubleshoot this further to confirm? I'd hate to pull the whole unit out and send it in to find out its something else.
Old 05-03-2019, 13:54   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"HOWEVER, if I remove shore power (at the AC panel or by unplugging from the dock), the Xantrex (MS2000) complains with an F06 fault - Too many AC loads. I've unplugged any and all plugs from AC, and still the same fault."

You said it yourself. The Xantrex has gone delusional and borderline psychotic. It says there are too many loads when there are none.

So by all means, disconnect the primary circuits (AC, DC, Xantrex) and use a simple $25 multimeter to test each one, to see what voltages are on them.

But if the Xantrex is telling you obvious lies, and "the only" problem was your soaked and sorted dock power cord...Use a multimeter. Easy enough to confirm if there are no loads. Obviously, the Xantrex is sensing loads. Disconnect the output cables, and if it still sees loads...that's an internal melt-down.

Or, you've got a problem with quantum entanglement connecting your Xantrex to real heavy loads someplace else in the universe. Could happen.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 13:59   #5

Well, quantum entanglement does seem like the obvious problem, but then what does the guy who calls the "hot" wire "negative" know!?
Old 05-03-2019, 20:53   #6

Assuming the inverter feeds a breaker panel. If you shut the ac breakers off. There is no load. And inverter should not error. If still does. Disconnect ac output at inverter itself. And try again. If still errors. Issue in inverter.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter