Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 05:44   #1

Boat: O'Day 34
Problem with Victron 702 Battery monitor

I have had a Victron 702 battery monitor on my boat for about 4 years with no problems. My setup is 2-350W Sunpower panels, 2-Victron 100/30 MPPT controllers and 8-105 ah AGM batteries. The system always gets the bank up to 100% sometime during the day. Last week when I looked at the 702 it showed ~ -6 ah after the batteries were fully charged and the controllers had gone into float. I let the bank settle down for about an hour with the controllers and panels disconnected and did a reset on the 702. All went back to 0 but the display still showed a discharge of ~ 0.47A. This continued through the week. Yesterday I disconnected all loads from the system right at the main bus bars directly after the batteries. The shunt and 702 were still connected and the display still read ~ -0.47A. The history windows for the MPPTs show that the bank reaches full voltage each day and never drops below the set float level.
I think the problem has to be with the 702. Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have any idea of the possible problem?
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 15:44   #2

Re: Problem with Victron 702 Battery monitor

Backlight current draw? You have several settings if I remember correctly
alamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 16:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamoana View Post
Backlight current draw? You have several settings if I remember correctly

plus stereo memory?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 17:02   #4

If you are absolutely sure there is no load (the two posters above have pointed to some parasites) and this is a change from past operation then I would guess a dirty connection at the shunt or on the PCB on the shunt is resulting in a very minor reading from the shunt to the BMV.

I'd first check/clean all connections and see if it persists. There is a setting in the 702 (#9 in the settings menu) to zero the feed from the shunt when there is zero load. However, if you are getting new noise I would keep a very careful eye on things after zeroing, it may drift around more over time and require re-zeroing. Eventually that leads to a new shunt or PCB.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 03:16   #5

Boat: O'Day 34

Thank you all for your prompt responses. After disconnecting everything from the shunt and positive buss bars, I Reset the current reading to zero using option nine. I’ll check it out again today and let you know the outcome. Thanks again
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor