Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 14:48   #31

Re: Portable generator setup with aircon and inverter

Will you run the AC with the A/C power? Why run it at 12 volts?

Do you need all that 28,000 btu of AC to be comfortable?

A 6000 BTU unit works in my small house well enough to be comfortable when we have those few days of 95-100 degree heat in the summer. The house is only 1100+ sq ft, and it cools maybe 40% of that. (Living, kitchen and one smaller room) The 6000 btu unit draws 10-12 amps. (1440 watts)

Do you have to run all 28000 btu with that unit?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 23:15   #32

I think I will use it the same as boatpoker, as a back up. I will never let the generator run and sleep with generator running and AC on. Noise and safety main reasons. But I you are able to cool down the cabin for about an hour or so in the evening, you sleeping place is de-humidified and cooled down so you fall a sleep comforably, after that it doesn't matte anymore. At least these are my thoughts in the use.

In answer to cheechako, the AC runs on A/C 230 volt, so not on D/C 12 volt right? So I need A/C power to run it. I don't need 28k BTU, I think it is too high. But it is already installed so eather I change these units for smaller capacity units or I try to make it work in this setup. Question is if the units and the power needed can be split by 3 because there are three units which you won't run the same time. So the 6000 btu unit takes 10/12 amps but that is on 115 volt right?
Julius1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:44   #33

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

https://www.sportys.com/arctic-air-p...n-12-volt.html

There are solutions to air on 12V
The link I added is a unit I saw on a small aircraft. The cabin started to heat up and the pilot had me plug it’s hose in a collar and turn it on. Was ice cold really quick but small 7 seat cabin. Other 12V units are available. I’ve seen a dedicated solar panel battery bank which runs cooling at night.
The compressor in mine is shot or it needs some other over priced part but it really is old tech with new gas. Mini cubes don’t collect the water from the air but they do have 12v systems which do have a 30 quart tanks portable. When we landed we made a small puddle beside our parking spot to drain the water tank. Arctic air has one which can expel the humidity collected overboard. It’s around $700.00. More a permanent installation.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
https://www.sportys.com/arctic-air-p...n-12-volt.html

There are solutions to air on 12V
The link I added is a unit I saw on a small aircraft. The cabin started to heat up and the pilot had me plug it’s hose in a collar and turn it on. Was ice cold really quick but small 7 seat cabin. Other 12V units are available. I’ve seen a dedicated solar panel battery bank which runs cooling at night.
The compressor in mine is shot or it needs some other over priced part but it really is old tech with new gas. Mini cubes don’t collect the water from the air but they do have 12v systems which do have a 30 quart tanks portable. When we landed we made a small puddle beside our parking spot to drain the water tank. Arctic air has one which can expel the humidity collected overboard. It’s around $700.00. More a permanent installation.
Now you just need to add and power a 7000btu ice maker to supply it with ice.

You do realize, this isn't an air/conditioner but basically a 12v fan blowing over ice. It won't dehumidify the space (one of the big advantages of actual air/con).

Now if you live at a marina that provides free ice, it might be a marginal solution but actually out at anchor, it's rather useless.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius1977 View Post
I think I will use it the same as boatpoker, as a back up. I will never let the generator run and sleep with generator running and AC on. Noise and safety main reasons. But I you are able to cool down the cabin for about an hour or so in the evening, you sleeping place is de-humidified and cooled down so you fall a sleep comforably, after that it doesn't matte anymore. At least these are my thoughts in the use.

In answer to cheechako, the AC runs on A/C 230 volt, so not on D/C 12 volt right? So I need A/C power to run it. I don't need 28k BTU, I think it is too high. But it is already installed so eather I change these units for smaller capacity units or I try to make it work in this setup. Question is if the units and the power needed can be split by 3 because there are three units which you won't run the same time. So the 6000 btu unit takes 10/12 amps but that is on 115 volt right?
Yes, 120VAC

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:37   #36

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:56   #37

My bad and not the one we used on the plane. Was no ice. A little tub collected 30 pints.
At any rate there are a dozen brands of 12V mini compressors with ducting and drains
Old 04-04-2022, 12:01   #38

Re Boatpoker. Yes very dangerous. At the Rosedale Lock on the Island side ( lots of black bears) were a row of power boats with their power cords extended full out plugged into a generator. Anyone who joined was told how to place their portables. My built in because the lock entry walls was a bigger danger to them.
I actually bummed power off them for morning coffee rather than bury them in diesel fumes
Old 08-04-2022, 06:44   #39

Boat: Brewer 44

If you run a portable generator you will be the most hated man in the anchorage. They are loud and obnoxious. Get some solar panels and wind scoops or get a hotel with aircon.
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:15   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDelG View Post
If you run a portable generator you will be the most hated man in the anchorage. They are loud and obnoxious. Get some solar panels and wind scoops or get a hotel with aircon.
Thats a bit of asweepoing statement. Buy a decent genny and that will not be a problem. Standing on the dock next to our boat with my Yamaha running you have to listen really hard to hear it.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:24   #41

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thats a bit of asweepoing statement. Buy a decent genny and that will not be a problem. Standing on the dock next to our boat with my Yamaha running you have to listen really hard to hear it.
That's what everyone says, yet I hear them running whenever started in an anchorage. It's one thing when it's a back-up and rarely used like yours, but when it's the primary charging source and ran for hours each day - like for air conditioning - then it's rude for everyone around you even with a Honda/Yamaha.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:33   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Depends on how and where it's installed. Sure sitting in the open on the adt deck they are very audible (I have one and can testify from personal experience). But I have also seen installations with sound shields or enclosed area that you could not hear 10-20' away on a quiet night.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yep, had an anchor out come over and lecture me as we were tied up on a free dock on a miserable hot day with no wind or electricity... because he saw the yamaha on the back deck.

I listened for a minute standing on shore ahead of the bow...didn't really hear anything. Certainly nothing that should make him angry.

Told him to wait a sec. Came back and asked if he still heard it and he said "of course"...I then told him I had turned the generator off.

No idea what he was hearing. My best guess is he was uncomfortable and wanted to make sure everyone else was too.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:41   #44

It’s just neighbours making coffee. I doubt my inboard gen is quieter than a Yamaha or Honda. I do applaud when one runs out of gas. They hear my applause.
Boaters gotta do what ever to enjoy their time on the water. I’m not going to judge them cause they don’t have the latest smart device.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:59   #45

It bugs me when someone states they have this system and it runs fine and then states, Oh when never use it and just run the genny 2-3 times a year.

This illustrates that single opinions are just that, and even if someone says get this genny or this AC, you still have a 50% or less chance of it working for you. My experiance is that you ABSOLUTELY need an EZstart module to reliably start an AC unit of almost any size, especially as the weather gets hotter and the AC has to start when the compressor is already hot and the genny is hot also.
Garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter