Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 04:52   #16

Boat: Hanse 505 50'
Re: Portable Generator for Imported Boat

I don’t favor the step down transformer approach because it doesn’t address hertz issue. I like the “universal charger” approach. I have a mastervolt that will charge from a wide range of voltages.. Then your house AC comes from your inverter, is consistent good quality power, and never comes directly from gen or Dock. I follow this approach on my euro boast in North America and it works well.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:30   #17

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I have a similar setup here in Perth, 120v boat. It also have a Mastervolt Isolator transformer with a 120v charger / inverter that can accept either 50 or 60hz. Sounds like what you are planning will work. Might want to check whether you need to reprogram your charger for 50 or 60 hz. On my charger / inverter this is adjustable.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zams 1006 View Post
Boat is in Sydney! I'll get an Aussie generator with a step down transformer. Fingers crossed its all going to work.

Apparently the old battery charger can handle 60Hz or 50Hz

Thanks!

Oh that my electrical problems were as simple, I have just purchased a Catalina here in Oz (Florida built). The original wiring is 12 and 110v (Including the hot water service), someone has also run a 240v system in parallel (Microwave etc, there are a number of sockets), the diesel Panda gen set is 110v and of course the shore power is 240v there are both up and down voltage transformers. I know an ex-naval electrician but unfortuneatly he's working in Mali or somewhere on the west coast of Africa.
MickB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, generator, import