Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 11:30   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Please critique my battery wiring.

I dont think this is the original factory wiring or dont know how much of it is. The house + battery cable has been cut and spliced at some point. No idea if and how much a previous owner has altered it. Looks factory setup from the charger to the two start batteries/ 1-2-B switch. Would this have been how it would have been wired in 1980?

There are no fuses anywhere and the alternator has a small 10GA wire which connect to the same post on the starter as the wire that connects to the C post on the 1-2-B switch. No idea what the amperage of the Alt is. It is factory alternator, looks original to the engine.

I am going to change this setup soon, upgrading the charger and house bank batteries, all the wiring, start batteries etc and am going to charge directly to the house bank via a charge bus, adding a Blue Sea ACR between the battery banks.

With the exception of lack of any fusing do you see anything dangerous? I am having a possible problems with one or both of my start batteries (something smells like rotten eggs) in the engine compartment in the area of the batteries. Im guessing my current wiring setup may not be helping to keep my start batteries equally charged but they could just as well be old. I can confirm they are at least 5yrs old.

At the very least though it looks like the charge loop of the start bank is possibly sending a weak current back around the circuit (20 ft round trip, 2/0 wire), through the 1-2-B switch to the second battery. Also the charger puts out 50Amps and is an old Raritan Crown charger circa 1978.

I left out the AC connections for now but there is one on the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Wiring.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	218345  
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, wiring, lease