Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 04:01   #1

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat
Perkins 4.107

Hi all,

I have taken a photo of the part of the engine, that I do not know anything about. I am hoping that with your guidance, it may lead me to making an informed decision on the repair or replacement.

The +ve Cable from the 12v Battery connects directly to it.

The reason for highlighting this, is that when the motor starts within 2-3 secs, everything seems fine. However, beyond the 3 secs of cranking the engine, I see smoke rising from it.

I can't quite make out precisely where the smoke is coming from because the ignition key is about 4.0' away. It has happened less than 6 times already and it hasn't affected anything else on the operation of the engine (so far).

Any words of wisdom highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200603_143636.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	216519   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200603_143710a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	216520  

Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:18   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Perkins 4.107

It looks like the starter motor solenoid. It switches the battery power to the starter motor when you hit the key start. The terminals and the contacts inside carry the full starter motor current.

There is a lot of corrosion on these terminals and they really need to be cleaned up. The smoke might be coming from the terminals.

The contacts inside might also be burnt / corroded and the smoke could be doing from them.

The corrosion causes an increased resistance which in turn creates heat when a large current is passed though the terminals and internal contacts.

A new one might in order .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:45   #3

Pickup a Cole Hersee starter solenoid (Intermittent duty is fine). Simple DIY replacement. Just make sure to disconnect negative battery cable as Step 1. Here's one from Amazon for about $21. Any decent chandlery will have it too for about the same, maybe less. Or any auto parts store will have one, though they will annoy you with questions about year/model/make of your car.

https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-2...1184419&sr=8-9
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:11   #4

Or for the Aussie based OP

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CONTINUO...4383.l4275.c10

This would be a good time to check the quality and size of the existing battery cables / terminals as well!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-06-2020, 15:44   #5

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat

Thank you EVERYONE, it is so refreshing to find helpful guru's out there prepared to impart their knowledge.

So the action plan is to 1) replace the Starter Motor Solenoid and 2) check the wires leading to the Solenoid leading from the battery.

I'm assuming that checking the wires involves making sure the wires are not frayed, and the correct size?

And checking for the quality of the wire would be best achieved with a multimeter checking for resistance?

As for the size, I guess delving into google and/or the solenoid manual if the right wire size is mentioned for the desired amps. The batteries and engine are only about 2' apart.
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 16:26   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

I would just plan on replacing that cable. Open ended terminals, chances are that corrosion goes 6” plus down inside the cable sheath. Get some quality marine cable, closed terminals and waterproof shrink tube, it’ll last forever.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 16:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

When you buy your solenoid, there's a similar model the has a button where the bump is in the middle of the top. It allows you the option of starting or jogging the engine from the engineroom. Nice for adjusting the valves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid_sm.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	216554  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
When you buy your solenoid, there's a similar model the has a button where the bump is in the middle of the top. It allows you the option of starting or jogging the engine from the engineroom. Nice for adjusting the valves.
I did not know this! Thanks Lepke -

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonut View Post
And checking for the quality of the wire would be best achieved with a multimeter checking for resistance?

As for the size, I guess delving into google and/or the solenoid manual if the right wire size is mentioned for the desired amps. The batteries and engine are only about 2' apart.
No, you can't use multimeter to measure the resistance of these heavy cables; the meter is simply not accurate enough to measure battery cables where the resistance will be in the order of milliohms. Your multimeter will only be accurate to a few ohms (on a good day). You can use a special low ohm (conductance) meter but I sure you don't have access to one of these.

Given the age of the old cables and going by the picture you posted, I agree with rbk, get new ones. As you probably don't have the tooling to make them, simply buy pre-made ones from your local chandlery. I suggest a wire size 50mm2 but if this is unavailable locally, try for 70mm2 which will be overkill but bigger is better
Old 04-06-2020, 04:20   #10

Anyone know a source/part number for the solenoid with the button??

Thanks
cyqk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins