Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 08:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Panel Replacement Consideration

Been looking at re-wiring our 1979 30 ft Catalina. Been looking at all kinds of threads and designs. Just wondering what about going with the Catalina Direct panel. Would want to add an ACR to handle battery charging. Our wiring as you can see is in really bad shape, seriously bad from add on's etc from previous owner. The CD price is around $1000 and seems to be a good idea. With trying to figure out a replacement like the Blue Sea setup but confusing to try and figure out. Plus by the time you add up all the costs of a alternative replacement I'd be more than a CD panel I think. Want to know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	182548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2635.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	182549  

dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 02:33   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Panel Replacement Consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
Been looking at re-wiring our 1979 30 ft Catalina. Been looking at all kinds of threads and designs. Just wondering what about going with the Catalina Direct panel. Would want to add an ACR to handle battery charging. Our wiring as you can see is in really bad shape, seriously bad from add on's etc from previous owner. The CD price is around $1000 and seems to be a good idea. With trying to figure out a replacement like the Blue Sea setup but confusing to try and figure out. Plus by the time you add up all the costs of a alternative replacement I'd be more than a CD panel I think. Want to know your thoughts.

Why do you say it is in bad shape? You'd probably find the CD (Catalina Direct?) panel just as confusing. I'm sure there's no way you can make it simple and easy to follow. If you take the time and are logical you will be able to follow it: it is just a lot of individual circuits.

You should be able to wire it up yourself. I think one of the most important things to consider is ensuring the cabling is heavy enough to carry the loads. If you re-wire it yourself though it is going to be a big, big, job time-wise. (I'd have to have a real good reason to undertake the job).

I've done my own wiring and each cable pair is held together with masking tape at this stage but I intend to identify each pair of cables using "Cable Markers". (I'll start at the switchboard and then every two meters or so)

There's a good article which I found helpful
https://www.boats.com/resources/12-v...s-for-boaters/

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Cable markers.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	182591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp wiring.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	182592  

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 05:13   #3

Re: Panel Replacement Consideration

Any acrylic/plastics shop can make you a new panel for much cheaper and they you can add the blue seas switch/breaker gangs. $1000 seems really expensive for a panel.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men