Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 11:37   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Outboard based generator?

Hi everybody,

on my cat Lady Rover (ladyrover.jimdo.com) I have currently a 2kw petrol genset which runs, but produces way to much heat.
Even big blowers can not vent the small compartment enough (there is no other location on board where I can mount it).
I'd love to replace it with a watercooled system.

I only have LPG and petrol on board. Main propulsion is via two Yamaha 9.9hp petrol outboards.
Replacing the genset with a watercooled diesel is not an option.

The smallest watercooled genset systems I found, are diesel based and have 3.8kw and are with 90+ kg to heavy.

1)
Now I was wondering if anyone knows of a watercooled petrol genset with not more than 2kw.

2)
Alternatively I was wondering if anyone knows of a successful fixed installation of a petrol outboard, driving exclusively a large alternator (not for propulsion). This would be lightweight, watercooled & use fuel I have already onboard.
The typical trickle charge coming of my propulsion outboard provides way to little amps.

I could find neither when googeling a lot.
Budget is a big issue too (anything above 1000€ is not really an option).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Franziska
Old 28-12-2014, 11:48   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Outboard based generator?

Honda 2000?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not water cooled, don't see an answer really, maybe if she were real handy she could belt drive an alt off of one of the outboards, have to make a new engine cover to keep the water out and may not be able to use engine for propulsion and electricity both.

But the Honda used outside the boat makes a lot more sense I think
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Westerbeke, makes a 3.5 KW generator that uses a powerhead form an outboard, it then belt drives the alternator. It's going over your budget.

The proof of concept works. Depending on you skills, it can be done DIY. Just make sure it safe.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi everybody,

on my cat Lady Rover (ladyrover.jimdo.com) I have currently a 2kw petrol genset which runs, but produces way to much heat.
Even big blowers can not vent the small compartment enough (there is no other location on board where I can mount it).
I'd love to replace it with a watercooled system.

I only have LPG and petrol on board. Main propulsion is via two Yamaha 9.9hp petrol outboards.
Replacing the genset with a watercooled diesel is not an option.

The smallest watercooled genset systems I found, are diesel based and have 3.8kw and are with 90+ kg to heavy.

1)
Now I was wondering if anyone knows of a watercooled petrol genset with not more than 2kw.

2)
Alternatively I was wondering if anyone knows of a successful fixed installation of a petrol outboard, driving exclusively a large alternator (not for propulsion). This would be lightweight, watercooled & use fuel I have already onboard.
The typical trickle charge coming of my propulsion outboard provides way to little amps.

I could find neither when googeling a lot.
Budget is a big issue too (anything above 1000€ is not really an option).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Franziska
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:58   #5

Many thanks so far. The genset I have is similar to the Honda 2000i so that's not an option.

I will look into the Westerbeke. Does it actually use the outboard leg for cooling?

Regarding the solution via belt driven alternator, does this require complicated regulators to adjust engine rev speed to alternator?
Currently I use a Waeco Perfect Charge 1250 MCA to put a max of 35amp into the batteries. It runs alternatively via the 220Volt of the genset orvthe 220Volt of the shoreconnection.

Many thanks for more thoughts...

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-12-2014, 13:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

No it just uses the powerhead. It is purpose built as a marine generator, It is AC not DC. But a good DIY'r could build it DC for battery charging only.

Lloyd

- Westerbeke

Amazon.com: Westerbeke 3.5 SBCG Red 60Hz 120V 6HP EFI Lo-Co Marine Gasoline Boat Generator: Sports & Outdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Many thanks so far. The genset I have is similar to the Honda 2000i so that's not an option.

I will look into the Westerbeke. Does it actually use the outboard leg for cooling?

Regarding the solution via belt driven alternator, does this require complicated regulators to adjust engine rev speed to alternator?
Currently I use a Waeco Perfect Charge 1250 MCA to put a max of 35amp into the batteries. It runs alternatively via the 220Volt of the genset orvthe 220Volt of the shoreconnection.

Many thanks for more thoughts...

FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 13:13   #7

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

All the small gens are air cooled. Probably best to figure out a way to use the air cooled unit.
Looking at the boat pics on your website, perhaps building an enclosure for the air-cooled unit on that arch, under the solar panels?
A 2kw is not too big or heavy. Already have to run wires from the panels.

It would think it possible to make an air cooled unit water cooled by using a radiator, but that is DIY project also.
Old 28-12-2014, 13:42   #8

Yes, I realised that the small units are aircooled.
Probably because the market is huge for air cooled devices.Shorebased pumps, genset and so on all over the world.

2kw are more than enough for me.
I lived down south before and always hated aircon. 😀
I did my numbers on that and have ample solar and will add wind power soon.
The genset is just a topup.

Btw. I'm not that scared of DIY, but electronic or welding are not my real specialities. Fiberglass and wood are more my thing.

Old 28-12-2014, 14:16   #9

Boat: csy 37

If the genset is just a topup, then i'm voting for the honda 2000 (or whatever equivalent you now have). Thats exactly what I use my honda 1000 for. It lives in a lazarette. When I need to top up I take it out, hook it up, and run it for a few hours. Then it's back in the lazarette.

Could be a whole lot simpler and cheaper than ANY of the other solutions. But thats just IMHO.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 14:31   #10

I am thinking of copper tubing wrapped around the motor with a 12v water pump. Think of marine air conditioning water cooling
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, outboard