Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Opinions on Sunforce Wind Generators from West Marine ?

Some people hate West, I love it!

This year West added Sunforce wind generators to their line up.

The price is similar to the Air Breeze and the catalog says 8 knts 28W, 12 knts 62W which does not sound bad for low speed start up power.

Anyone have/had one?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 13:54   #2

Re: Opinions on Sunforce Wind Generators from West Marine ?

Just bumping this thread. The two reviews on west seem really good, but was looking for some better results.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:57   #3

I know this thread is bit old but I'm looking for a little help with my Sunforce 600W wind generator.
I bought it from West Marine 5 weeks ago. Installed it without any problems and had it working fine for 2 weeks. Then it stopped charging the batteries. :-(
I had it off for a couple of days during light winds and then turned it on (or technically, the brake on the charge controller off) a little later I was trying to get weather on the SSB and noticed a cyclical whinning noise coming over the SSB. So I turned on the wind gen brake, got the weather, turned the brake off again and thought it was a bit strange for the interference to be cycling up and down in pitch. So I checked the ammeter for the wind gen output and it was cycling between 0 and 1 amp every second in around 12 to 15 knots of wind. Very strange. I was usually getting around 4 to 5 amps at least in that wind range. Checked the charge controller, no charging light. Not good.
So as soon as we got to Nassau I emailed the guys at sunforce (early last week) and so far, after a quick inital response, the going has been very slow with them.
I've physically checked all the electrical connections EXCEPT the 3 connections in the tower from the gen output wires to the wire run into the charge controller. However I have checked the voltage output from those three wires and all are producing voltage, hence the conclusion that those connections are also sound.
So far the only answer that presents itself is a problem with the charge control box internally.
Has anyone any similar experience? Or any thoughts on a solution? Paying a fair whack for a wind gen to have it fail after 2 weeks is somewhat frustrating!!!!
Any help would be much appreciated!
Ant81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:42   #4

Boat: Catalina 36 Hull 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Just bumping this thread. The two reviews on west seem really good, but was looking for some better results.
Do a quick search for Sunforce and you will see everyone is selling them. Probably cheaper then West.
A friend is now in Florida from Michigan and has been very happy with his 600 watt unit. Now that he has more wind.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:37   #5

Hey all.
We've had a helpful reply from Sunforce. They think it's software problem in the MPPT controller and are sending us a new unit. Just have to wait a month for delivery to get it up and running again. Good Good.
Ant81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine