Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 19:57   #1

Boat: 37' Tollycraft Sedan
Onan MDJE won't stay running after start switch released

Hello. I have an Onan MDJE 7.5 kw generator. It seems like it is going to start but as soon as I release the start switch the engine dies.

Suspecting the oil pressure safety switch, I removed the one wire from it and grounded it to the block while starting the engine with no luck. Not knowing if it was a normally open or closed switch I removed the wire and didn't ground it to the engine. Is this a suitable test for this switch? Or should I replace it? There is an engine mounted oil pressure gauge, so I know I have pressure.

Anything else I should check? In the manual there is a chart showing the sequence of operation and during the start cycle it says the "centrifugal switch" closes. I don't know what this is, or where it is located on the engine.

Thanks in advance....
Gregg
Perdiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:46   #2

Re: Onan MDJE won't stay running after start switch released

How many terminals on the oil pressure switch? If it is more than one, the switch is isolated ground and probably carried +12v when running. By grounding it, you either blew the fuse or broke one of the other safety switches.

As I recall, on an Onan the oil pressure, exhaust temp and water temp switches all run in series and deliver 12v back to the electric fuel pump (if equipped) and the fuel solenoid "hold" coil. During cranking the preheat button powers the fuel solenoid "pull in" coil and as soon as oil pressure comes up, power gets to the hold coil and it stays engaged.

If the engine dies after you let off preheat, the problem is likely in one of the safety sensors or a blown fuse. Multimeter/ohm meter for troubleshooting.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:16   #3

Thanks for the reply. Only one wire on the oil pressure sensor and the other end is screwed into the block - so I assume it supplies a ground to keep the fuel solenoid happy.

I hadn't thought of the pre heater supplying power to the fuel solenoid during cranking. I'll try holding that in after releasing the starter.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35   #4

My MDJE did the exact same thing. It turned out to be the centrifugal switch points needed gapping after a two year layup. Unfortunately, you can't buy those points new anymore. We my post on smokstack.com for more detail
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:40   #5

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

For a number of years I had a 5KW that would continue to run only if the preheat switch was held for another five to ten seconds after releasing the starter button.

You might give it a try.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:39   #6

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Ethanol in the gas?
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:14   #7

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

If only we could get rid of those ******ng fuel solenoids on gens.

At least, a by-pass option....

M arine
D iesel
J oking
E xperiments
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 14:00   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Being as dumb rock. Have you check that your kill isn't stuck?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 15:48   #9

Boat: Still not big enough..!!!

Start-Run switches can fail on the 'Run" contacts side. If this model has that wiring arrangement, then Ohmmeter test that switch section/side.....
bluewatervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 18:27   #10

On my Westerbec 5k genny, the starting sequence, even in warm weather, is 10 seconds preheat, start, continue to hold preheat 20 seconds, runs great. Modern diesel cars and trucks do this sequence automatically. I'd give it a try before taking anything apart.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 21:31   #11

Thanks for all your ideas! The generator is working again - but I'm not 100% sure what I did.

Holding down the preheat button after cranking didn't help.

I confirmed the oil pressure switch was working - it is normally closed and during cranking the oil pressure interrupts the ground (I thought it would be the other way around).

I confirmed the high temp switch was passing 12 volts to the stop solenoid during cranking (and shorted the end off my meter probe trying to hold both ends while cranking).

I removed the cover for the centrifugal switch but there isn't enough room to get in there and do anything. I'll have to remove the main engine start battery. While playing around there I moved the stop solenoid plunger up & down and it seemed sticky at first and then it came free. After that the engine started fine. (could that have been the trouble??)

Our next trip out is for a month and obviously I would rather not have gen problems. Other than getting in there and adjusting the contacts is there anything else I should check/do?

Thanks again.

Tags
lease