Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 15:11   #1

Location: 30 Years in Alaska, Anchorage, Valdez, Fairbanks and Juneau
Boat: Rojo-Sailor 46 Windseeker II
Onan MAJB Owners.

Hi this Captain JL and I have some good news for the owners of 3 KW Gen-Set made by Onan which is now Cummins/Onan. I am rebuilding this 3KW after it suffered a drowning on a vessel in Puget Sound. The engine was pickled and thus saved but the electrical did not fare so well. I have replaced everything, switches, relays, wires, terminal ends, and fuse holders in the Control Box. Now that I have gotten it to turn over after replacing the Start Solenoid and unfreezing the Starter Motor. I find the Magneto is not making spark. In contacting Cummings/Onan dealerships I find this Magneto is no longer available. Found an ad on eBay for eight of these by the time I got to the site they were gone. So I have been experimenting with a TCI system. Transistor Controlled Ignition. With this system I am able to replace the Magneto with a PC board and Ignition Coil. I use the existing Points for the timing. This Conversion takes only three wires to hook-up to your Gen-Set. The +12 Volt DC from say the Engine Hour Meter, a Chassis Ground connection and the connection to the Points. It is about as easy as you can get and you get to have your old reliable Onan back to making juice so you can make your Rum Punch with ice. For anyone interested I am willing to help in installing one of these TCI systems for you. Captain JL
windseeker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 07:25   #2

Re: Onan MAJB Owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windseeker2 View Post
Hi this Captain JL and I have some good news for the owners of 3 KW Gen-Set made by Onan which is now Cummins/Onan. I am rebuilding this 3KW after it suffered a drowning on a vessel in Puget Sound. The engine was pickled and thus saved but the electrical did not fare so well. I have replaced everything, switches, relays, wires, terminal ends, and fuse holders in the Control Box. Now that I have gotten it to turn over after replacing the Start Solenoid and unfreezing the Starter Motor. I find the Magneto is not making spark. In contacting Cummings/Onan dealerships I find this Magneto is no longer available. Found an ad on eBay for eight of these by the time I got to the site they were gone. So I have been experimenting with a TCI system. Transistor Controlled Ignition. With this system I am able to replace the Magneto with a PC board and Ignition Coil. I use the existing Points for the timing. This Conversion takes only three wires to hook-up to your Gen-Set. The +12 Volt DC from say the Engine Hour Meter, a Chassis Ground connection and the connection to the Points. It is about as easy as you can get and you get to have your old reliable Onan back to making juice so you can make your Rum Punch with ice. For anyone interested I am willing to help in installing one of these TCI systems for you. Captain JL
Hello. I sent you a private message regarding this mod you did.

Tony
tonya467 is offline   Reply With Quote