Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2021, 21:36   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Not another portable generator thread!

Sorry guys and gals, had to do it. I’ve spent quite some time digging through these but ultimately thought I’d pose some of these questions here. Note: CO sensors are cheap, will plan to have quite a lot in the cabin to keep things safe.

We are looking at getting a new or 5< Year old boat. The price that they are asking for generators on these is quite high for what we intend to use it ($20k). That said, a portable Honda EU2000i companion seems like the ideal fit. Main questions are:

- is it safe to store in a deck locker with gas in the generator (I believe you can have the cap selected not to vent)? If not, would the only way to bleed it is to take off the cover and undo the fuel line or does a simple upside down tip work?
- storing the gas: I’ve seen anchor locker and tying off to a stanchion. I like the anchor locker but would like any thoughts.
- running: seems like bathing platform would be best but would be a bit concerned with some wake coming into the fold out platform and getting it wet. I suppose right above that would be next best?
- weather protection: curious if anyone has used one of these as a saftey precaution? GenTent 10K Generator Tent Running Cover - XKI Kit (Standard, TanLight) - Compatible with 1000w-9000w Inverter Generators https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SG85NQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 21:49   #2

Re: Not another portable generator thread!

Safe to store it with gas in it? Probably......matters how hot it will get. If you do make sure you shut off the fuel valve to the carb and the tank vent. Most important, do not fill it all the way up. The liquid will expand with heat and if it doesn’t have a vapor space to expand to it can cause some significant issues.
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 21:57   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Hi..
I have used a Honda 2000 on my Hunter 36 and now Jeanneu41DS. I store it in the deck locker with gas in it and never had a problem. The gas I have both stored in the anchor locker and now that I have a dinghy davit I put in the dinghy. I also run the generator in the stern platform with bungy cords so it does not vibrate off the deck. I only run it while anchored. I have gotten into a habit of running it while kayaking or fishing in the dinghy leaving it unattended. Not advisable, but do as I say not as I do.
I figure if the darn thing blows up or catches on fire....heck lucky I was not on board.
No tent covers...and I do have a CO since I also run a diesel heater.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 01:29   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I've just bought myself a Gentrax (suit-case style) 3.5 KVA generator for $739. They are vastly more popular in Australia than the overpriced Honda.

I have been wondering where to store it too (I do have a self draining deck locker) Not too sure where to run it though: maybe somewhere near the transom in a dedicated SS enclosure?

https://outbax.com.au/3-5-kw-silent-inverter-generator

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 10:31   #5

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

WAY back in the 70'S and 80'S, i had a Honda 12 volt only [evidently they were not sold in the USA], generator for charging battery's, would hang it off the stern, just below the cap rail to reduce the noise factor, this was in S.E.Asia, back then , there were no marinas, had my own mooring, i put down in singapore.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:02   #6

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

Consider the Yamaha generator - basically the same animal as the Honda but may be a bit cheaper?

Keep the vent and fuel valve closed when not in use and you should be fine.
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:23   #7

I used a honda 2K for 13 years. I store it with gas in it and keep the vent closed. I carry a 2.5 gallon jerry can as well. I have a locker that has a drain that drains overboard where I store the jerry can. The jerry is sealed, but the drain allows any fumes to vent overboard as well. I store the generator on the deck. My wife made a sunbrella cover for it for when it's not in use. We run it on the swim platform with the exhaust aimed at a 45 degree angle astern so the wind carries the exhaust to the poor souls anchored behind us.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Our yacht drains overboard through the stem and completely sealed from the rest of the yacht were we used to keep our Honda 20i until we sold it. Other yachts I have seen with anchor lockers that drain into the bilge of the yacht. That would be unacceptable for me or need modifying first.

As you have worked out, you can buy a lot of generators for $20k even if they are stored on deck with a cover over them and only last a few years each.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:39   #9

I did find a YouTube video once, about a fella who by-passed his Honda generator fuel tank, and fitted his generator up with a fitting that would accept the hose from his outboard tank. That sounds like the safest solution to me, also with the Honda you can run the carb dry when you switch off. Also the new Honda generators have a CO2 sensor and cutoff feature built in, at least the U.S. ones do. Then another chap ran his Honda with the exhaust extension hose fitted, and dangled the end of the hose into the water. Any Thoughts?
We had a 50' Hanse with a German brand diesel gen fitted, Cost..10,000 Euro not incl tax. It was fitted poorly, with the exhaust rubbing somewhere as it passed down inside the hull and it would rattle the whole boat. This Generator lasted 550 hrs before a major failure required a full rebuild. Never Again. The Honda for me, a tiny fraction of the price.
PeroniPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:44   #10

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I made this mod to a EU2000 years back. Not for any marine application but to allow for larger fuel supply and ability to run the carb dry (the original Honda had no fuel shut off).

Just disconnect the fuel line from the original tank and connect to the new outboard fitting.

Frankly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen and tank.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	233263   Click image for larger version

Name:	connected.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	233264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	in line filter.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	233265   Click image for larger version

Name:	RA fitting.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	233266  

Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:57   #11

Technically you dont want any gas, in any thing, stored in a closed unvented locker below.
It seems to me that an anchor locker is bad because they are always quite wet and humid, even on a sunny day. The Honda is not a marine device and will corrode quite well etc.

Personally I think the best solution is a custom made case on the rear deck attached to the pushpit. Maybe even a sturdy storage bin. But a custom nice fiberglass one could be made also. Or a custom sunbrella cover that completely surrounds it?

$18 https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Gener...15824143&psc=1

A Storage case used upside down would allow you to pull the case off and start 'er up!
https://www.zoro.com/plano-molding-b...saApO9EALw_wcB
or a Small cooler?
or
Gator Case: https://www.gatorcases.com/products/...-2217-13-wpnf/

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:38   #12

Boat: Island Packet 349

I had Honda 2000 on the previous boat. Kept it in a plastic container similar to the one in the second link above. It was acceptable as a short term solution, but I would not consider it a long term solution (voyages longer that a week or two). The reason is storage and management of fuel. Since running the main engine is also acceptable short term solution, utility of a portable generator is questionable. I still have that Honda, but not bringing it to the new boat. A combination of a solar system and an inverter is a better solution. Unless you need to run an air conditioner in which case a conventional diesel generator is a better approach.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 15:54   #13

Boat: Albin 25

In my experience, the cost of a new Honda 2000i will be roughly equal to a full-on solar install which is much quieter, accomplishing more.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 16:49   #14

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Gasoline stored in a generator in an unvented locker just seems like a really bad idea. Carburetors can leak. So can hoses. It doesn't happen often but, when gasoline fumes are in the bilge and something sparks ... boom.

I'm assuming this is not to run AC, which would require a substantial store of gasoline and create another problem. If you're using the generator to top up batteries at anchor, the other posters are correct: solar is a much better solution.

I have two Renogy 160-watt panels with MPPT controller feeding 440 amps of golf-cart batteries. They can supply close to 20 amps an hour on a sunny day in Florida with the batteries partly drained. They can reach 10 even on cloudy days.

I run a refrigerator 24/7, have a TV and use the usual collection of computers, instruments, radios, etc. Without motoring, the batteries are close to a full charge by early afternoon on a reasonably sunny day.

Considering how long it takes to get a battery bank near 100 percent, even with a large 110-volt charger, you're going to run that Honda for many hours to match what solar panels do.

I built a frame of SS tubing on my stern rail and bimini behind the boom. The cost for all solar and structural equipment was less than 1K, and the structural and wiring work took a good part of a day. Not a big deal.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 20:50   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

[QUOTE=coopec43;3350019]I've just bought myself a Gentrax (suit-case style) 3.5 KVA generator for $739. They are vastly more popular in Australia than the overpriced Honda.

We can usually tell who is not using an “overpriced” Honda by the amount of noise they make in an otherwise quiet anchorage.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator