Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 09:33   #1

Northstar Batteries and the difference between color series

Hello, I'm looking into the newest blue and red series of Northstar, and it is surprisingly difficult to determine the pros and cons of each color. At best, a short attribute list is highlighted, but what is the real world COMPARISON for marine applications:

The NorthStar telecom battery range at a glance:
  • The NSB Red Battery® uses pure lead technology to provide high energy density and an extended float life of 15+ years, even at elevated temperatures, which dramatically reduces maintenance and replacement costs.
  • The NSB Blue Battery® recharges up to five times faster than standard AGM batteries, with PSOC compatibility for high cyclic performance - perfect for unstable grids or off grid applications such as hybrid gensets.
  • The NSB Silver Battery® is a premium, high density designed to offer ten to fifteen years of trouble free service in standby emergency power (float) applications. They are best suited to deliver high power and cyclic capability in semi stable grid applications.
If you want a house or electric propulsion bank, I've only heard the blue's are 'better'
and can take a charge/recharge beating. The website seems to suggest reds last longer It is worth noting Northstar's website does feature reds first, then blue and finally silver. If normal flagship model rules apply. Can anybody elaborate or find a side by side comparison chart? Thanks.
Captain Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:12   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Northstar Batteries and the difference between color series

What do you plan to use it for?

The Northstar blurbs seem to favor the Red and the Silver for long-term FLOAT service (like in UPS, telephone, or large solar system applications).

The Blue seems best suited for service like you'd normally expect on a boat.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:32   #3

This would be for a 48 volt electric motor propulsion system's battery bank (4x AGM 12v). I've seen the 210ft blues retail around $800 a piece but can get them around $600. Red's are hard to price online, but sepbatteries has the red 210ft for $600 and the blue for $615. I have a one time local option (no shipping charge too) for 4 brand new red 210s at $300 per battery. Would the cost savings make up for whatever difference the blue and red have or are the reds just plain not for the intended usage?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37   #4
Eternal Member

Given that incredible price difference, I'd be tempted to go with the Reds. But, it might be useful to contact the Northstar company.

Also, how old are the Reds? Have they been on continuous float since leaving the factory?

It would be useful to do a capacity check on them before purchase.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:02   #5

My thoughts too. If I were buying from the link, the $15 difference wouldn't sway me from the blue 210s at all. If your well advised tests passed with stellar results, I am VERY tempted on the reds.

They are from a fellow boater and well respected high-end marine company. Their business requires batteries ready to go for their electric systems. He said they are brand new, from the same batch. I see them still on a pallet and charging. He can order an even newer set or 4 blues too.

Other boater friends suggest flooded Walmart ones but I find the idea perhaps misguided. These reds may be medium ground between the folly of going cheap and blowing the budget on the highest end. I think the reds choice would greatly lean towards the high end of the spectrum at a good price, especially the reds ALSO cost around 600 a piece.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:41   #6

The only descriptive DIFFERENCES on Northstar's website are:

NSB Blue+ Battery® - Fast recharge and high cycling

In many regions of the world the on-grid power supply is unreliable, suffering frequent power outages every day. This means frequent recharging, severely shortening battery life. To minimize the impact of outages or use of diesel generators it is crucial to recharge batteries as quickly as possible - you never know when the next outage will be. At the same time, the cyclability of the battery needs to be exceptional, as the number of charging cycles will be greatly increased when the grid goes down.

The NSB Blue Star Technology® offers recharge five times faster and can handle more than three times as many cycles than standard AGM's, thanks to its PSOC compatibility. This not only ensures a more reliable power supply, but also reduces the cost of operation.

___
NSB Red Battery® - Pure lead for long life

The NSB Red Battery® provides exceptional performance and long float life, even at elevated temperatures. This means huge potential cost savings, due to reduced battery replacement and maintenance.

“Our ambition has always been to develop the best performing product for every possible requirement,” says Jerry Hoffman, President of NorthStar Battery. “With this new pure lead design, we expect the Red Battery to be the best performing product for regions with a stable or semi-stable power grid. It’s the perfect addition to our product line, because now it doesn’t matter if you are setting up telecom equipment in downtown New York or in the middle of the Kalahari Desert, there’s a NorthStar battery to suit your needs.”
Old 02-01-2016, 13:26   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I would be surprised if you get good service from the Reds. They state that they are optimized for floating with seldom being cycled. Sounds like a start battery to me. The Blues are listed as designed for cycling. Are you going to sit at a marina with dock power all the time so the batteries just sit on stand by or will you expect the battery bank to actually provide power on a regular basis?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 14:32   #8

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Don't under estimate the toughness or $$ value of golf cart batteries. There is a lot of competition in that market and that drives value up.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc