Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15   #1

Northern lights M673 issues

Has about 900 hours on it with all preventative maintenance preformed during its life. Recently changed both fuel filters and did an oil filter and oil change on it. After about 30 minutes it shuts down. It doesn't bog down like there is a fuel issue but shuts down like one of the sensors is doing it. All fluid levels are good, raw water flow seems good as the faceplate on the impeller is cool to touch as are the hoses and the rubber boot on the end of the heat exchanger. Normal amount of water is being expelled with the exhaust and no fuel leaks. However there appears to be a very small oil leak coming from the shaft on the water pump. Could this cause enough of a drop in oil pressure to activate the sensor and shut the motor down? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thunderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Northern lights M673 issues

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Thunderstone.

The M673 has safety shutdowns for low oil pressure, high coolant temperature, and high exhaust temperature

See page 13 ➥ http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/...pdfs/OM673.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thunderstone...

On my NL 12 KW, (14000 hours) I had some trouble with the high temp shutdown, mounted on the bottom of the header tank. Took the sensor out, banged it on the bench, put it back in, and all is well.

Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04   #4

My generator doesn't have an instrument panel unfortunately. I disconnected the water temperature switch and the engine then overheats so I reconnect it and disconnected the water temperature sender and with it being disconnected the generator still shuts down after a short period of running. I've also noticed that when I fire it up cold in the morning it will run for about an hour before it shuts down.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56   #5

Flushed the cooling system, cleaned the expansion tank and heat exchanger and have checked the temp near the sensor with a laser pointed thermometer and it indicated it is overheating, temp goes over 205. Is the thermostat the likely culprit here?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Just because it is obvious, did you check the thru hull to make sure you do not have trash or something partially clogging it? Also, have you checked the belts? Ever time I have shut ps down ,was due to restricted inflow. Mine has 2160 hours and that has been my only problem. Changed impellers and one belt
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote