Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 17:39   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Northern Lights Generator Wet Exhaust?

La Vie Dansante is a Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 with a Northern Lights diesel generator. When the generator runs, she runs within the temp limits and generates efficiently. I can see water running into the strainer, but I don't see any discharge like I do with my Volvo diesels. I can smell gas exhaust, but I can't see any raw water discharge. My impeller is good. So I have no systemic symptoms of a problem, but also no visible discharge. What's going on?
just where I want, That's all I want
La Vie Dansante
La Vie Dansante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 17:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Northern Lights Generator Wet Exhaust?

Most likely you have a water separator, their purpose is to separate the water to reduce the splash noise
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 17:54   #3

So, where does the water go?
La Vie Dansante
Old 07-01-2020, 18:02   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I would think you could follow the path of the exhaust line to the muffler and somewhere past there would be the separator. Two hoses from it, one the exhaust and one the water.

I'd think it's better for the water to discharge above the water line, but maybe it's below and you can't see it.

I assume you have found where the exhaust outlet is, dry though you say.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:39   #5

Yes, It's a through-hull above the waterline near the generator. I can smell exhaust, but can't see any water discharging. I don't run the generator very long - maybe an hour or so at a time - so is it possible the water is still filling the system reservoirs?
La Vie Dansante
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40   #6

Are you sure there isn't a separate discharge for exhaust gas and water. I was moored next to a boat that had this. I had pointed out that he wasn't shipping water, and he explained they routed the water discharge underwater to reduce noise.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

As others have said, there is a separator in your exhaust system. The water discharge is below the waterline so that you're not disturbed with the splish-splash of the wet exhaust when you're running the genset at night. If you are smelling diesel exhaust fumes you may want to consider moving the gas discharge to the transom, but if the separator is not mounted well above the waterline, you may need to install a goose-neck/swan-neck at the transom to prevent flooding when the engine(s) are not running. Feel free to contact me direct at jmardall@comcast.net if you need more information.

All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:23   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

No such thing as water resoviour . If you ran the generator without water for more than a few minutes it would overheat and self shut down. Either protected by the water temp overheat switch or exhaust temp overheat switch.
Now is the time to learn your boat. Better to go over and understand all your systems while at home dock.
Unlike cars where if you have a problem on the road a service station is not far away. With boats they are few and far between and only offer limited services. No service center or marina services all of the myriad types of engines, transmissions, generators, etc that are installed in boats. Very little is standardized.
Boat owners need to be familiar with what they have and it’s basic operation unless they are staying close to shore and home.
Travel to distant places is fraught with enough natural challenges that we need to be prepared and reduce our own exposure. Prepare and enjoy. Boats are not cars.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:05   #9

Thanks for the response, and the lecture on the difference between cars and boats! Bonus!
La Vie Dansante
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51   #10

Boat: Catana 471

If you follow the exhaust hose from your NL generator, you'll probably run into a Gen-Sep that looks something like this. Mine has a Northern Lights logo on the side, but is made by Centek, same as the one in the West Marine listing. Mixed exhaust (gas + water) goes in, is separated, and then the gas and water exit via separate hoses. One of the hoses leaving the gen-sep will lead to a below-waterline through hull.. that's your cooling water discharge.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 14:39   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
No such thing as water resoviour . If you ran the generator without water for more than a few minutes it would overheat and self shut down. Either protected by the water temp overheat switch or exhaust temp overheat switch.
Now is the time to learn your boat. Better to go over and understand all your systems while at home dock.
Unlike cars where if you have a problem on the road a service station is not far away. With boats they are few and far between and only offer limited services. No service center or marina services all of the myriad types of engines, transmissions, generators, etc that are installed in boats. Very little is standardized.
Boat owners need to be familiar with what they have and it’s basic operation unless they are staying close to shore and home.
Travel to distant places is fraught with enough natural challenges that we need to be prepared and reduce our own exposure. Prepare and enjoy. Boats are not cars.
+1. What Squanderbucks didn't mention is the cost of, usually inept, service at whatever yard you are at. If you find a yard that gives great, knowledgeable service on your systems then you are indeed fortunate.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 14:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
+1. What Squanderbucks didn't mention is the cost of, usually inept, service at whatever yard you are at. If you find a yard that gives great, knowledgeable service on your systems then you are indeed fortunate.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ater+separator
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 16:53   #13

I also have a Northern Lights with a separator on the exhaust and it is very quiet. My recommendation is that you identify the location of the below the water line thru hull and n m ale sure the seacocks works properly. It’s an easily forgotten item.
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, generator, Northern Lights