Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 12:23   #1

Boat: Najad 34. 1979
New Wiring Diagram to Najad 34

I've read through a lot of post here and elsewhere about how to set up a new 12V system.

I want to keep it as simple as possible. Underneath is a suggestion on how to do it. The way I plan to charge the system is to the through the house bank (named 1 and 2) and with an ACR og Echo Charger to the starter bank (named 3).

The problem I keep running in to is a way to use the both banks to use to start on the engine. Do I do this with a 12B switch?

How do the system look in general?

Be forewarned, my electrics skills is quite low. And so is my english.

Thanks in advance,
Jonatan from Norway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	1405
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	61408  
Golden Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 13:12   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: New wiring diagram to Najad 34

Quote:
Be forewarned, my electrics skills is quite low
then I would consider why you are doing this yourself.

dave
Old 27-05-2013, 13:50   #3

Dave, when I say quite low, it's off course relative. Also, I would really like to know how all of my boat works for my self, that includes the electrics in the boat. I hate to not understand how things work. I do not want to be dependent on some expert. I can off course get expert help on the way, and I also plan to, so thats why I want help from you guys. There seems to be a lot of expertise on the area on this forum.

Many people have done it before my, so why can't I.
Old 27-05-2013, 14:15   #4

You don't need to use both banks to start your engine.

Try these references

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

Try to not reinvent the wheel.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 14:31   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Many people have done it before my, so why can't I.
of course you can, but this forum is full of people complaining about poor electrical systems, thats the trouble with DC wiring , you can easy do a poor job and it half works for a while.

But , hey dont let my advice stop you

dave
Old 27-05-2013, 14:39   #6

Thanks Stu, I've read a lot from you Maine Sails on different fora. I've already read the first one, but will have a closer look on the second one. I'll come back with a suggestion on how to wire it.

There is probably lots of boats with almost the same in and outputs as me, so inventing the wheel is quite unnecessary.

I guess thats true, I only want to have the opportunity to start the engine from the house bank.

J
Old 27-05-2013, 14:48   #7
Nearly an old salt

Re: New Wiring Diagram to Najad 34

if you want to start from either bank, use a 1-2-both switch in the starter + feed, also id strap the negative of the starter battery to the house bank with a similar sized wire. DOnt rely on the ground path ( if any) through the echo charger.

Alternatively wire a parelling battery switch, connecting the starter battery into the house bankl , if in an emergency you need to start from the house banks, easier and cheaper then a 1-2 switch.

dave
Old 27-05-2013, 16:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Here's how I do separate House Bank and Starter Bank.

Fuses and grounds omitted for clarity.

House Bat to bat terminal of the 1-2-all SW, Then from #1 output to the House bus bar, and #2 output to the Starter bus bar.

Start Bat to bat terminal on a on/off switch, Then the output to the starter bus bar. Take a cable from the starter bus to the starter, and bring a cable from the #2 House SW to the same bus bar.

Normal position for the House SW is #1, the normal position for the Starter SW is On.

Now you have options.

If the starter battery is either dead or un-servicable then move the starter SW to off and the House SW to all. This isolates the starter battery and provides a direct path to starter from the house bank.

If the House bank is dead or un-servicable then move the House SW to #2, and the starter SW to on. Now you have isolated the house bank and all power is from the starter bank.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 15:08   #9

Thanks for many great responses. In the version 2 of the diagram ive tried incorporate the different aspects. Ive just done the wiring so there might be some mistakes.

I've got a few questions regarding the setup.
1. How do I setup the pluss and ground buses? Ive tried to do a suggestion here, but not sure how to it correct.
2. Where to set the shunt for the bat monitor?
3. Ive seen people have installed a on/off switch on the startbattery, but unsure where to put it. Is this the correct way?
4. Should I put every ground to the ground bus bar? (is the term bus bar correct here, my bad english).

Fuses will come later I guess.

Thanks for the help so far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New wiring diagram 2.jpg
Views:	2465
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	61459  
Old 28-05-2013, 15:44   #10

Golden Orchid,

A good way to think about Buss Bars is to have one Pos wire from your House Bank to the Pos Buss Bar and ALL other Pos cables to that Buss Bar. A good way to fuse these is by using a Blue Seas MRBF at each Battery Bank Pos and then fuse all other Pos at the Buss Bar.

For the Neg or ground, same concept except you put the shunt between the main Neg (battery side), then connect the shunts load side to the Buss Bar, and finally all other Neg to the Buss Bar.

You mentioned in your original post you wanted to keep this simple, so a 1/2/all is a good solution. Keep the switch to your house bank all the time and if you ever have to start the engine in an emergency you can flip the switch. This will prevent combining the dead bank with the good one and allow you to get home. The EC will take care of properly keeping your reserve battery topped up....hope this helps...
Jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 19:41   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Orchid View Post
Thanks for many great responses. In the version 2 of the diagram ive tried incorporate the different aspects. Ive just done the wiring so there might be some mistakes.

I've got a few questions regarding the setup.
1. How do I setup the pluss and ground buses? Ive tried to do a suggestion here, but not sure how to it correct.
2. Where to set the shunt for the bat monitor?
3. Ive seen people have installed a on/off switch on the startbattery, but unsure where to put it. Is this the correct way?
4. Should I put every ground to the ground bus bar? (is the term bus bar correct here, my bad english).

Fuses will come later I guess.

Thanks for the help so far!
If you just want to use the 1-2 both switch for the starter don't. Run the 12 panel wire to it as well. , run that wire just to the house positive. Avoids starting pulses interfering with the panel.

Alternatively just put in paralleling switch between the two battery banks.

Dave

Ps you need an additional isolator on the battery feeds and its not a bad idea to be able to disconnect the battery grounds as well.

Bit more to do yet

Note that ground bus , needs to be very near the battery if you wire in the starter to it.

I'd rebook at your grounds. , connect all the negative of ALL batteries together with a full sized battery cable.

Then take ONE feed for a general purpose medium current negative and positive bus bar. Ie everything other then the starter which should be wired directly ( via switches etc) to the positive and negative posts of the starter battery

Set up a high current positive and negative bus bar right near the house batteries , use this to feed the medium bus bars, the invertor feed in , and any other very high amp circuits. ( excluding starter ) fuse these feeds close by

Dave
Old 29-05-2013, 15:49   #12

Dave and Jsol: i've tried on this diagram to follow your tips regarding the cabling and the buses. Is this correct? The starter goes directly to the battery, both on positive and ground, the high voltage goes to the bus nearest the bat and all the other goes to the medium bus.

How does the diagram look now? If it looks good, then I wall draw the fuses and wire diameters.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New wiring diagram 3.jpg
Views:	1578
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	61504  
Old 29-05-2013, 16:03   #13

Golden Orchid,

A couple of things, you said the Starter goes directly to battery, are you talking about the Neg? Both the Starter Neg and the Neg from your Reserve battery MUST be on the other side of the shunt. So all Neg will be seen through that shunt via the Buss Bar.
Jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 16:23   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Orchid View Post
Dave and Jsol: i've tried on this diagram to follow your tips regarding the cabling and the buses. Is this correct? The starter goes directly to the battery, both on positive and ground, the high voltage goes to the bus nearest the bat and all the other goes to the medium bus.

How does the diagram look now? If it looks good, then I wall draw the fuses and wire diameters.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
The starter negative should go to the starter negative battery.

Also still don't understand why the 12 panel is mixed up with the 1-2 switch and the starter motor , if i get a few minutes free tomorrow ill see if I can tidy up the diagram for u

Dave
Old 29-05-2013, 16:48   #15

Boat: Norseman 447

You also don't want your starter and the house loads both on the common lug of your parrallel switch! You want a separate switch for your house loads to your house bank. ON - OFF

Tags
electrical, electrical system, najad, wiring