Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 04:16   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: New batteries and Terminals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey frija View Post
Someone new coming in now; I'm now completely confused. so what battery IS reccomended? I was thinking i was reading a series of reccomendations for why i should be buying AGMs and now it seems not!! I just bought a boat with a virtually croaked battery bank and i need to replace in june when i take possession. I do have a wind generator and will have a honda auxiliary generator on hand. Help!

I think if you go through all the battery threads around here, the most common recommendation is that AGMs (and gels) are fine if you are able to recharge at the dock often, can afford (or are willing to pay) the extra cost, and especially if access to check electrolyte levels is difficult. Another advantage is that they don't off-gas (as much) so are useful for installations in living quarters (e.g., under a V-berth to power a bow thruster, etc.). The risk with AGMs is premature failure from not fully charging often enough... and apparently there's anecdotal evidence suggesting that.

OTOH, if you're seldom at the dock and have to depend on alternative charging source (engine alternator, genset, wind gen or solar panels)... flooded lead acid batteries (usually 6V golf cart batteries) are better.. and they're cheaper, too. And there are ways to deal with electrolyte levels.

FWIW, our oldest AGM bank is 8 seasons old, still seems fine. We're usually at the marina for charging, though... since our cruising time is limited by (the Admiral's) pesky day job. YMMV.

Do a search on AGM, batteries, and thread where MaineSail and some of the others in this thread have contributed.

-Chris