Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2024, 01:31   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
New AGM battery, low resting voltage

Hi all,

Just took delivery of a new AGM battery from Victron today.

I put the multimeter on it, and it was reading 12.61 volts.

That seems a little low? Doesn't storing them at that voltage damage them over time?

I've lodged a ticked with Victron, but since it appears the ticket will go straight back to the distributor I'm not exactly filled with confidence of the imparitality of the answer I will receive.

Matt

P.S. This battery is supposed to be a suck-it-and-see device before I fork out the extraordinary $$$ required for an Oddysey AGM as recommended by this forum. So it does not have to last forever, but it does have to work.
Old 10-01-2024, 02:08   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: New AGM battery, low resting voltage

Seems a little low - I would have expected something more like 12.8V or a tad higher.

AFAIK,Victron storage charge rate is about 13.3V but I guess your local supplier does not keep them on a storage charge.

Victron says the self discharge rate is less than 2% per month at 20°C. The self-discharge doubles for every increase in temperature by 10°C. What is the average temperature in Adelaide in summer?

Victron state their VRLA batteries can therefore be stored for up to a year without recharging, if kept under cool conditions and have exceptional discharge recovery so I guess they are saying they can be sold after sitting untouched for a year after manufacture without too much ill effect.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 05:53   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For a new battery being stored before use, that's probably getting down to the point where it should be recharged. Ideally it would be kept higher than that, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Resting voltage varies between different batteries anyway, so it's hard to say how far off that is from full. I've seen some AGMs that will rest around 13 volts after sitting for a couple of days and others that are as low as 12.75 fully charged and resting.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 13:17   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Well, mildly reassuring. Still no word from Victron though, I wonder if the distie is asking questions first before responding..

Tags
agm, battery