Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2023, 15:55   #1

Boat: C&C 33 Mk1
Need help deciding on DC/DC Charging

Hi Sailors,

I have a 10.5 KW Thunderstruck Motor with 280 AH of AGM Batteries at 48v and a 100 AH Agm house battery. I do not have solar on yet, but I think I want to wire the solar to the 48v bank only and add a DC/DC charger for the house battery when I am off shore power. I do have a 3500 watt generator as well, but want to add the solar for versatility and also use the regen when I can- does anyone see a problem or have a recommendation on a DC/DC charger that can take the 48v down to 12v?

Thanks!
Traveler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 17:07   #2

Boat: Hunter 27
Re: Need help deciding on DC/DC Charging

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...er_p_7116.html.

Take a look at the "tech tip" in the link from pkys. They suggest using a mppt solar controller in order to get a regulated charge profile. The victron DC to DC 48-12 controller puts out about 10-15 volts that can be selected in 0.2 increments. That would work power supply but not as a smart charger.
misssherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:12   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend to use a 48-12V dc-dc converter set to 13.2V fixed output. Once this is setup, you can disconnect and remove the AGM battery.

Check out the 48/12 30A model: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...50-400W-EN.pdf

If you require more than 30A power, you can connect a second one in parallel, which is recommended anyway for redundancy reasons.

Alternatively, you can keep the AGM battery to cope with peaks in power usage. This will be okay at 13.2V but it will shorten the battery lifespan.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:31   #4

Boat: Boreal 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssherry View Post

Take a look at the "tech tip" in the link from pkys. They suggest using a mppt solar controller in order to get a regulated charge profile.
Using an MPPT controller for this sounds like a great idea, but it only works if the 48 V battery and the 12 V battery has no other ground connections than through the MPPT (and that would be quite an unusual setup). The problem is that the Victron MPPTs measure the charging current through the ground and if there is an alternative ground route from the 48 V battery to the 12 V battery, the MPPT will not measure the current correctly and may overload. During testing, I had a 15 Amp MPPT deliver 20 amps due to this issue. See here for more info: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3595300
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:53   #5

Boat: Boreal 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I recommend to use a 48-12V dc-dc converter set to 13.2V fixed output. Once this is setup, you can disconnect and remove the AGM battery.

Check out the 48/12 30A model: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...50-400W-EN.pdf

If you require more than 30A power, you can connect a second one in parallel, which is recommended anyway for redundancy reasons.

Alternatively, you can keep the AGM battery to cope with peaks in power usage. This will be okay at 13.2V but it will shorten the battery lifespan.
Isolated DC-DC converters have some advantages, but one downside is that they are not as efficient as non-isolated converters. The above converter is listed as being 87 % efficient, so if it is delivering 30 A at 13 V, it will generate 30 A * 13 V * (1 - 0.87) = 50.7 W of heat. I have not tried the large converters like that one, but have had to add fans to cool down Victron's smaller converters.

Victron has a series of non-isolated high power DC-DC converters which are more efficient, but unfortunately they do not seem to have any 48 V versions.
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I want to keep a separate house battery. So, there are no "smart" DC/DC chargers? Surprising. I could step down the 48v to 12v and then use a 12v DC/DC charger if there are "smart" ones of those....Thanks for the input!
Old 05-06-2023, 10:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssherry View Post

Take a look at the "tech tip" in the link from pkys. They suggest using a mppt solar controller in order to get a regulated charge profile. The victron DC to DC 48-12 controller puts out about 10-15 volts that can be selected in 0.2 increments. That would work power supply but not as a smart charger.
This is probably the correct answer. I have a V 75/15 on my camper van and like it. So I would get two Victron MPPT's - 1 for DC/DC and on for Panel to 48v bank, Sounds reliable to me. I could also the shore power charger for the house battery and only rely on the MPPT controller when at the dock. The best part is no part. Thanks
Old 05-06-2023, 11:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler7 View Post
I want to keep a separate house battery. So, there are no "smart" DC/DC chargers? Surprising. I could step down the 48v to 12v and then use a 12v DC/DC charger if there are "smart" ones of those....Thanks for the input!
I listed an option to keep the battery.

The MPPT controller gives problems like someone explained.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:12   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarneK View Post
Isolated DC-DC converters have some advantages, but one downside is that they are not as efficient as non-isolated converters. The above converter is listed as being 87 % efficient, so if it is delivering 30 A at 13 V, it will generate 30 A * 13 V * (1 - 0.87) = 50.7 W of heat. I have not tried the large converters like that one, but have had to add fans to cool down Victron's smaller converters.

Victron has a series of non-isolated high power DC-DC converters which are more efficient, but unfortunately they do not seem to have any 48 V versions.
Which is why I listed the isolated version

Old 05-06-2023, 12:15   #10

i imagine that you only need the isolated version when you want to have a different negative from the source …is that right? I always had isolated but now i have my 24v and 12v negatives connected. anyone care to comment?
Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:49   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
i imagine that you only need the isolated version when you want to have a different negative from the source …is that right? I always had isolated but now i have my 24v and 12v negatives connected. anyone care to comment?
Correct. Isolated converter will produce an independent negative but if that negative is tied into a common negative bus it is pointless as the isolation is broken.

ABYC up to 48VDC (possibly 60VDC*) doesn't require isolated circuits even for electric propulsion. In fact they make no reference to using separate negative DC busses for each voltage as an option so I am not sure it is even allowed at <60VDC (although it should so maybe just an oversight).

Above 60VDC an isolated negative bus is required for the propulsion pack. So isolated converters would be needed to avoid breaking that isolation (i.e. 72 VDC to 12VDC isolated DC to DC converter).

*Not really clear if the 60V they reference is nominal or peak but 48VDC nominal should never peak above 60v so it is good either way. 60 VDC is ambiguous. 72 VDC definitely requires isolation.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarneK View Post
Using an MPPT controller for this sounds like a great idea, but it only works if the 48 V battery and the 12 V battery has no other ground connections than through the MPPT (and that would be quite an unusual setup). The problem is that the Victron MPPTs measure the charging current through the ground and if there is an alternative ground route from the 48 V battery to the 12 V battery, the MPPT will not measure the current correctly and may overload. During testing, I had a 15 Amp MPPT deliver 20 amps due to this issue. See here for more info: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3595300
I believe it all has a common ground so I will explore this option carefully. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
charging