Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 18:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
Need a new battery charger -

Need to replace the old battery charger and am a bit overwhelmed with the selection.

I have 2 banks: Bank 1 (house) is four 6VDC GC2's connected for 12 volt supply. Bank 2 (aux-start) is 1 group 27 hybrid.

Looking for a 2 bank charger and hoping to spend around $150 for it.

Any ideas on a decent one?
Old 03-08-2015, 18:30   #2

Re: Need a new battery charger -

Powermania 230

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:32   #3

Re: Need a new battery charger -

with those batteries you want something in the 60-80amp range. you're not going to find a good one for $150. maybe 500. like a ProNautic1260P

on that boat you're want a dry mount charger since you probably use things on the boat with it plugged into the dock.

2 bank chargers are not common most are 3. just don't use the 3rd.

do you have or use an inverter? now might the time to look at inverter / chargers.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:31   #4

Boat: Spirit 28
Need a new battery charger -

There are others who will weigh in on this, but here are my thoughts, based on a similar challenge on my boat a few years ago.

1. You probably dont need a two bank charger. If you set up your system with all charging sources going to bank 1, and an ACR or echo charger to top off the starting battery, a single bank charger is entirely adequate.

2. Many sources recommend sizing a shore charger such that a 50% discharged bank can be topped off overnight- say in 10 hours or so. For FLA batteries like yours, that is about 10% of C, or around 45 amps.

3. You can spend lots of money on a charger, but if you dont want to, there are some less expensive but decent chargers available. Iota is one, which is what I bought, and just above your price range (the 55 amp model is just slightly more). If you go with Iota, get the IQ4 option.

http://www.solar-electric.com/batter...h1/dls-45.html

4. This question has been covered many times on this forum - try googling for other points of view. Pay close attention to anything written by Maine Sail (RC Collins). Always check his web page for guidance before spending money on anything:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

There are various others whose opinions are well regarded - you get a feel for who's who after a while.

Good luck!
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger