Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 12:41   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Nav Lights

I have been using AquaSignal Series 44 LED nav lights for some years, and I like them very much -- they have splendid optics and tremendous visibility, exceeding the standard probably by double, I think.

The only problem I have is that my sidelights are mounted on my bow pulpit, and despite having quite high freeboard at the bow (I guess at least 5 feet), I sail a lot in heavy weather and do bury the bow in waves on a regular basis. These nav lights are sealed, so do fine in this regime by themselves, but their weakness is that brass tabs come out of them to clip the cables to, and these don't like being immersed in sea water.

Lately one of these has simply corroded off, rendering the side light useless

I think I need nav lights without any terminal -- with potted connections and wire coming straight out, and no junction. Anyone ever hear of any good LED nav lights which are arranged like this?

I might fiddle with these myself and see if I can improvise a potted, soldered connection, but I'm not quite sure that this will work, with the tabs already so far gone.

Grateful for any tips.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Nav Lights

Not real familiar with Series 44, but have you looked here?
I have many of their lights and a couple of aqua signal, I’m not really impressed with the aqua signal ones, the secondary anchor light I have failed from water intrusion, and it’s about 10’ off of the water mounted on my Solar panels, so nothing but rain has ever gotten to it.
https://store.marinebeam.com/led-por...n-side-lights/

These have no metal, and no connections, just about a meter of wire coming out that you splice into, they are waterproof, and nothing to corrode.
Real easy to work with people too, call them and you talk to them directly, not some call center.
All my interior lights are Marine Beam, and I went with their suggestions once or twice.

If you go this route, buy an extra housing just in case you bust the light somehow, if you were to hit it with something and tear it off, the housing will break and the light should be fine.
Spare is about $8 I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 15:49   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Nav Lights

I went with Hella NaviLED Pro. Sealed unit, 7+ foot pigtail. Excellent units.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:16   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I am looking for reliable and sealed LED replacements to my very old Perko A-16 round stainless steel port/starboard, deck/horizontal navigation lights, preferably 2nm, but 1nm might be acceptable.

I am always replacing lousy cheap bulbs that burn out, the lights are not waterproof and blow out when we take bow waves. It is totally untenable and not at all convenient to replace these in the middle of the night bouncing around, while unscrewing 3 small wood screws, replacing the bulb which is often reluctant to come out because they are poorly manufactured chinese junk that do not fit.

I think this is the same problem Dockhead is trying to solve, so I am very interested in a good answer/solution!
..and I don't think they need to cost an arm and a leg.

Hella NaviLED - 2NM NaviLED Deck Mount Port and Starboard Pair

Not cheap, about $136 each. The cover comes off, but I don't know how the rest of it works. Is this the pro version?

- no, these are 3.54" long x 2.94" wide x 1.52" high. Pro are bigger and different
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:18   #5

Boat: KP44 #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I went with Hella NaviLED Pro. Sealed unit, 7+ foot pigtail. Excellent units.
+2
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:35   #6

My port and starboard are currently mounted on the top of the teak toe rail. I notice that these lights are often mounted higher for visibility, up under the bow pulpit just where the pipe turns down. Is this a change that I really should consider and how difficult is it to do? - If I were to make this change, the Pro version would be more appropriate I think.
Old 21-06-2019, 07:42   #7

Does anyone have experience with Marinebeam Nav Lights?
https://store.marinebeam.com/uscg-ce...ed-nav-lights/

I might be interested in these 2nm, SKU: N3-112-PAIRW, UPC: 852665415169 LED Navigation Side Lights (Pair) 12V/24V - Horizontal Mount $69 for the pair, but are they good? Are they Chinese?

These are the 2nm side mount LED Port/Starboard Navigation Side Lights
$89
Old 26-06-2019, 14:29   #8

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

https://www.sea-dog.com/groups/103-l...e-mount-lights
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 16:19   #9

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Does anyone have experience with Marinebeam Nav Lights?
https://store.marinebeam.com/uscg-ce...ed-nav-lights/

I might be interested in these 2nm, SKU: N3-112-PAIRW, UPC: 852665415169 LED Navigation Side Lights (Pair) 12V/24V - Horizontal Mount $69 for the pair, but are they good? Are they Chinese?

These are the 2nm side mount LED Port/Starboard Navigation Side Lights
$89
I have the marinebeam integrated anchor/tricolour/strobe at the masthead and it’s excellent. No interference, hugely bright, precise colours without a coloured lens, and very small indeed.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote