Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which Solar controller do you have
morningstar 5 17.24%
outback 5 17.24%
bluesky 11 37.93%
other 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2009, 20:02   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Nick,
Actually Blue Sky does have one like that......their Solar Boost 6024H, handles up to 140vdc input and is field adjustable for either 12vdc or 24vdc system charging....
That's what I thought at first, but it's documentation clearly states that it's only for 36V or 48V arrays, so maximum of 4 panels in series. The only way to use this controller is by creating two strings of 3 panels. However, that's not compatible with my setup as I have one location with 4 panels and another with 2.

Three of those 2512 controllers would work, however, they state a 35V maximum input, which isn't enough for two of my panels in series. It looks to me that this unit is meant for parallel panels and, to be honest, old tech. already...

thanks,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 20:31   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We have a BZ500. We have two 24v panels in parallel.

THe BZ500hv, a variant of what we have, will work with the higher voltages. It was designed to work with the 60v Kaneka (SP?) panels.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 06:40   #18

Boat: Catalina 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That's what I thought at first, but it's documentation clearly states that it's only for 36V or 48V arrays, so maximum of 4 panels in series.

Three of those 2512 controllers would work, however, they state a 35V maximum input, which isn't enough for two of my panels in series. It looks to me that this unit is meant for parallel panels and, to be honest, old tech. already...

thanks,
Nick.

Nick,
1) Perhaps an e-mail to Blue Sky would clarify things and provide a definative answer????
I'm wondering if the descrepancy in their documanetation is just that.....simply a documentation descrepancy????

2) I've been using two 2512ix's now for about 3 years and have been very happy with them....
And, yes, I do have my panels in parallel....2 panels in parallel to each controller.....
Well color me "old school", but I chose to do it like this.....remember all installs and systems are different, so what works for me, might not be the best for others......this allows for max output from my array when one panel may be shaded my the mainsail, and also allow for simple and easy direct connection of the panels to the batteries in the event of multiple controller failure.....yeah, I know not very likely....

3) I've also read many good reports about Outbacker controllers (although haven't any first hand experience with them)....so whatever you choose, I suspect you'll be happy.....

Sunny skies...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:21   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
John,

Two of my panels are on top of our arch at the stern with a good length of wiring to the controller. Connecting in series will help much in that scenario. If your cable runs are short, parallel is fine. If not, and your controllers can take two panels in series (they can I think), you can further improve the efficiency of your array!

About discrepancies in documentation: I'm probably too old, but I feel it's their job to provide clear documentation that includes full spec's with max open voltage (VOC) etc. I tend to select products that have good documentation already. I used to be on the other side, putting a lot of effort into good documentation for my products so I have little incentive left to help others with that now ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:51   #20

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I build a peak power tracker... if you want to customize things have have cheapest cost:

Openppt
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 15:26   #21

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
MPPT Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Nick,
Actually Blue Sky does have one like that......their Solar Boost 6024H, handles up to 140vdc input and is field adjustable for either 12vdc or 24vdc system charging....

Blue Sky Energy Inc. | Solar Boost 6024HL
and
http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/uplo...Hdatasheet.pdf

I found the guys at Blue Sky to be very professional and very "into" solar......very "engineering - geeky".....
Nice guys!!

Good luck and sunny skies...

John

I bought Bzproducts 500 controller. manufacturer is responsive, knowledgeable. It has a 5 year warranty.

With no charger or a regular charger you lose the differnce between panel output volts and battery charge volts. So a panel rated 20V with 10 amps is a 200watt panel. Connect it to a battery that charges at 13 volts and you have lost 70 watts. When your battery is really low and you need the power then you lose even more.

MPPT converts power in to power out at the voltage the battery needs. So you would get more than the 10 amps. Its the amps that count. The conversion loss is minimal in the big scheme of things. Of course in hot sun when the panels should give max power, the temperature will drop the panel volts and the MPPT will be less efficient, but at least this happens when you have the sunlight.

No controller with large panels can fry or boil batteries.

Jack C
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt