Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 14:18   #1

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Morningstar VS: Victron

My 44 custom cutter has a failed Victron MPPT 100/50b solar controller.
I am looking at going with a Morningstar ProStar 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller.
Does anyone have any feedback for one or the other, or for that matter anything you like more.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 14:23   #2

Re: Morningstar VS: Victron

Do you have a battery monitor, inverter, other chargers? If so, it makes sense to keep everything the same brand. The beauty of Victron is the Bluetooth connectivity and integration in the app. If you don’t intend to integrate anything, I guess it doesn’t matter. I do have Victron and enjoy having the ability to monitor on my phone.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 14:28   #3

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
My 44 custom cutter has a failed Victron MPPT 100/50b solar controller.
I am looking at going with a Morningstar ProStar 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller.
Does anyone have any feedback for one or the other, or for that matter anything you like more.
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Victron stuff. But I've also gone all-in on their ecosystem. I have a Cerbo GX, which integrates my MPPTs, my (DIY) LiFePO4 battery, my Inverter/Charger, my Alternator Regulator, tank monitoring, my starter battery, and internal environmental monitoring of the boat. It also lets me keep an eye on the boat while I'm overseas, which I appreciate.

Either way, though, Victron makes solid kit, your failed unit notwithstanding.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 15:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

MPPT solar controllers’ electronics are not very reliable. This is one reason why I am a fan of using multiple controllers.

I can understand after having a failure of a Victron controller that you are keen to change brands, but Morningstar controllers are technically not as sophisticated.

I would be tempted to replace the controller with another Victron controller, but if you can adjust the wiring then multiple controllers add redundancy and superior efficiency for little extra cost (multiple smaller solar controllers are not typically a lot more expensive than a larger single unit).
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 16:26   #5

For me, the biggest benefit of Victron is the system integration and centralized control. I very much like their stuff, and they are pretty much exclusive for my electrical system, and I have NEVER had a problem.

For standalone units, I'd be a bit more agnostic.But I would encourage the OP to consider at least thinking about moving toward an integrated system, if now soon, someday.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 18:38   #6

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

The boat is new to me, it has three Victron components, inverter 10+ years old, controller & monitor are newer also Victron gel batteries. I understand that view of keeping what I have all the same. My long term plan is to go to Lithium and make whatever changes are needed. I do plan on using several controllers for the final setup.

On the other side I have had Morningstar MPPT controllers on my home off grid system since they first came out with no failures and got over 10 years out of my FLA battery bank.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 20:17   #7

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

My expensive Monrnignstar controller melted its terminals and it was way over specced. My much cheaper Renology controller is doing a sterling job
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 22:05   #8

Boat: Privilege 435

Can’t comment on Morningstar, but the Bluetooth monitoring is very nice on victron.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:17   #9

Boat: Delphia 37

I’ve had the smaller SunSaver for 6-7 years (seasonal use boat) with no real complaints. Early on I think it went brain dean once or so, needed a power cycle. Can’t recall if I did a firmware update or not, no issues last 5 years or so.

At the time I wanted a Solar controller which also did temp compensation and Morningstar was the only one I found in my size that did. Looks like Victron does not with their wireless Smart Battery Sense deal.

The Bluetooth on the Victron stuff would be nice. Only way to pull data from the SunSaver is via USB cable and that just never happens. I monitor via current inflow on battery meter.

Morningstar stuff does get much attention around here for what it’s worth. The whole interconnected Victron ecosystem is hard to beat.

Edit: looks like you can drop the Morningstar controllers onto a Ethernet network now - https://www.morningstarcorp.com/prod...bus-converter/
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 15:52   #10
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

For what its worth, Victron equipment has a 5 year warranty.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 13:33   #11

Boat: Privilege 435

Oh and firmware update via the Bluetooth app is very nice.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:33   #12

Boat: dutch barge. 61ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
For what its worth, Victron equipment has a 5 year warranty.
Actually you can make it 10 years !!!!
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote