Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 14:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Question Method to keep plug in outlet

When we arrived at our boat this morning I realized once in the cabin that we had no shore power. I quickly checked what could be causing this. Turns out the plug of the power cord was so slightly pulled back from the outlet on the piling that there was no contact. In fact, the difference between having contact and not having contact was quite small.

OK, any DIY methods to make the plug stay put? The cord is an EEL and the plug going into the boat outlet stays firmly in plact.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 15:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Method to keep plug in outlet

Only way I know is to tie the cord off so that it is attached to something firmly so that the cord can't be pulled loose.
This is what I do and it has never come loose.
You could secure the cord to the pedestal with a bungee, I just use a piece of line.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 15:43   #3

Re: Method to keep plug in outlet

Tie an elastic line on your cord so that the knot on line is at dock level and loop it around the pylon.
Old 13-11-2016, 15:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If the plug has that "L" shaped ground prong, then if you can pre-twist the cable (in the proper direction) before plugging it into the socket then it should stay locked in. For this to work, the cable needs to be secured not too far from the socket so it stays twisted. Wrapping the cable around a nearby dock-cleat usually works for me.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 02:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Do you engage the lock?
EEL Shorepower | marinco

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 07:57   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

twist the lock and make sure you have adequate length of cord to actually reach the dock box. i wrap my ships end around my binnacle, and i try to make the dock box side tied so as to prevent pulling.
also the manner in which you tie boat can affect the situation.
always twist your plugs to lock--see instructions onthe plug itself, it shows direction to twist open and closed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 07:58   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Method to keep plug in outlet

Be careful about a loose contact between your shore power cord and the dock pedestal. On the brand new docks in Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, CA it is notoriously difficult to properly engage the 30 amp plugs. I had to ask the electrical contractor who was doing the install what was wrong. He showed me it required a very (more than I've experienced anywhere else) strong push of the plug toward the outlet before turning the plug to lock in place. Once truly locked in all is well.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 11:46   #8

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Since we are living aboard at a marina for now, we just leave the plug in when we go out. Here is our setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	136197  
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 13:44   #9

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
When we arrived at our boat this morning I realized once in the cabin that we had no shore power. I quickly checked what could be causing this. Turns out the plug of the power cord was so slightly pulled back from the outlet on the piling that there was no contact. In fact, the difference between having contact and not having contact was quite small.

OK, any DIY methods to make the plug stay put? The cord is an EEL and the plug going into the boat outlet stays firmly in plact.
Like the previous post suggested, if you've enough cord hitch it around the pedestal, and leave enough tail to plug in with a little slack so there is no pull on the plug. I'd use a clove hitch to be sure.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 20:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Dont mean to be cranky..always unplug your shore power from the dock if you leave it. doesnt everyone?
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 21:21   #11

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Dont mean to be cranky..always unplug your shore power from the dock if you leave it. doesnt everyone?
ce
No,not for day sails,I turn off the circuit breaker usually located near the outlet,if no breaker,yes unplug it.
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 04:35   #12

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

First I'd heard of EEL. Looks like it's Marinco's answer to SmartPlug? From their web site, it looks like the EEL connection is only on the boat (female) side of the cord. The shore (male) side, where the PO had the problem, looks like a normal 30A marine plug.

Good advice on keeping that end secured has already been posted, I won't add to that.

It looks like the EEL end is a good idea. No need to replace the boat power inlet, so you're not restricted to only using only that type of cord in the future.

As for leaving the shore power plugged in when the boat is unattended, that's pretty normal. Keeps the batteries topped off and ready to run the bilge pumps, and keeps the beer cold in the fridge. Very few boats at our marina are left unplugged.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 05:19   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
ce

You mean when leaving the slip? Or when leaving the boat?

Ours stays plugged in to run a dehumidifier full time when we're not aboard. Our first winter back from cruising created too much mildew.

When out for a few hours or weekend out cord stays plugged in with the breaker off and the balance of cord hung in a coil on the pedestal.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:18   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Just to be clearer then..
When leaving the dock or when you unplug the vessel end of a cord. It's not good practise to leave the open female live end of cord on the dock. Breaker off is better but not something I would 100% trust, someone could turn it on.
I just unplug them, its a good habit.
I also take them with me, even for a quickie. Its a hassle but you just never know what might happen out there, learned that lesson too.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:26   #15

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

If you leave your plug in you inviting electrolysis. Some folks at our harbor with deficient electrical systems wonder why their zincs go so quickly.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug