Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 07:03   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Masthead Tricolor Nav Light Solution

Now with the LED energy saving, would it not make sense to all of us to convert to the standard+optional(redovergreen)?

?

Can be in fact better than the mast-top tri.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:58   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I2f,
It's similar to dinghying back to your boat in a very dark, crowded anchorage when some people don't use an anchor light.
You can almost hit an anchored boat even if you're going very slowly.
The only way you know they're there is by some ethereal "feeling".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I2f,
It's similar to dinghying back to your boat in a very dark, crowded anchorage when some people don't use an anchor light.
You can almost hit an anchored boat even if you're going very slowly.
The only way you know they're there is by some ethereal "feeling".
I've had that same problem with boats that have the anchor light at the mast top.... it's dark, there are a million stars up there and you are scanning at sea level. I think a low anchor light is best personally, and will reflect off other parts of the boat also....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:34   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now with the LED energy saving, would it not make sense to all of us to convert to the standard+optional(redovergreen)?

?

Can be in fact better than the mast-top tri.

b.
I thought it would be a good idea, but then I couldn't find a red over green fixture. It was then pointed out to me that the lights had to be separated vertically by 1 meter, so the lights are sold as separate fixtures. I wasn't going to add another 3+ feet to my mast.

Recently looking at the rules again, it says "at or near the top of the mast". Now if it doesn't go on top of the mast you have to worry about not obscuring the lights by more than 6 degrees. It is legal to use two lights setup so they look like one which would solve the mast being in the way, but how do you work around the sails? I suppose you could always reef the main and roll the jib part way up for night sailing.

I think I'm stuck with the tricolor for sailing.

Edit: Looking at the rules again, says not to be obscured by masts or structures, doesn't say anything about being obscured by sails. So don't have to worry about that right?

John

Navigation Rules Online

Rule 25

(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower Green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.

Annex I

When the Rules prescribe two or three lights to be carried in a vertical line, they shall be spaced as follows:
  1. on a vessel of 20 meters in length or more such lights shall be spaced not less than 2 meters apart, and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 4 meters above the hull;
  2. on a vessel of less than 20 meters in length such lights shall be spaced not less than 1 meter apart and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 2 meters above the gunwale;

Annex I
  1. All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull.
  2. If it is impracticable to comply with paragraph (b)(i) of this section by exhibiting only one all-round light, two all-round lights shall be used suitably positioned or screened so that they appear, as far as practicable, as one light at a distance of one mile."
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:39   #20

hmmm.... what about a port and stbd separate light on the side of the mast a couple feet from the top? Alot better color separation than a tri color.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:20   #21

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

[QUOTE=Jamel;783904]For some reason unknown to me, my 2003 Catalina 42 has only an anchor light up top!

I very much prefer a tricolor up there too for visibility so other vessels are able to see me at sea, no matter what the wave height.

I have purchased a tricolor / anchor light fitting but the problem is that only the wiring for anchor light is up there at the top of the mast.

The easiest solution for me is to just wire the tricolor light with existing anchor light wiring and hang out a temporary anchor light each night when required at deck level which illuminates the vessels structure rather than have a little white light up in the sky, often unseen and seemingly unattached to anything!

Thanks for the input, the good and whacky one! I am going with the existing tri color on the bow ( for flat water/ harbour approach type situations). I will install the tricolor at the mast head using the anchor light wiring( because I prefer that location for the tri color to be visible at sea. LED globe is prefered, they use 0.02amps instead of 2.00amps and brighter!!

I have always prefered hanging a deck level anchor light each night ( an old ritual of mine along with furling the flag at sunset) which allows the whole vessel to be illuminated and seen from deck height by other vessels and ofcourse yourself returning by dinghy after dark. Good for security too, thieves prefer to board boats in complete darkness.

So , in a nutshell....we've cracked it!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:41   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post

That may well be so regulationswise, and as I intend to cross the Pacific I do hope I'll be sailing most of it!!

To my mind, it's all about being seen at sea, regulations like red /green lights on the bow is absolute c--p! Your chance of being seen offshore in a 10 foot sea by a crewman on night watch on a Japanese longliner is near to impossible. He will need to be as close as 100 yards to see my nav lights on the bow to get a clue which way I'm heading! i don't want him that near!!!!

As for THEIR nav lights, they are the last thing you see... their working arc lights light them up like a sports stadium!

Nav lighting regulations for yachts need to consider...safety and common sense FIRST and foremost, particularly for offshore ocean sailing!
And that's what radar is for. Put up radar reflectors and run the AIS if you have it. Modern ships rely on modern equipment, not visuals.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
And that's what radar is for. Put up radar reflectors and run the AIS if you have it. Modern ships rely on modern equipment, not visuals.
+1. AIS TRANSMITTER is going to be better at having the big ships see you.. (or having their computer see you and warn the crew....)
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It's best to have the navigational lights as high as practical and even light up the decks so one is visible for a greater distance.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:16   #25

Boat: Cape Dory

OGM has a diagram on their website (or call them) for how to wire the tri color with a 2 conduit wire. They will sell you (for $$$) a switch to use to control the whole thing. I'd suggest that you look into that before assuming you can use the existing wire as a messenger. Its funny how mast wiring doesn't always just slide up and down the mast ;-]
Luck
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 17:21   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

Quite many considerations but not many good choices.

Sometimes I think we should lobby the law-makers to introduce something better, something distinct, something clearly visible and marking us as sailing, something low-power...

As far as lights on two words of warning:
- maybe it is NOT a good idea to have too strong lights,
- some say it is not a good idea to have the tri-color.

The two above from articles about marine accidents and some discussions with fellow mariners.

A final noter, and a horrible drift: the law makers could change one more thing: give the big vessels the right of way so that small sailing vessels would have to give way. Reasoning: 1) why stick to rules made in completely different times, for completely different boats? 2) why expect a big and hard to manouver ship to spot a small and difficult to notice boat and give way while for the same small boat has it easy to spot the big ship, change course, etc.. But this probably a drift for another thread.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:41   #27

Big ships always have the final right of way as they usually can't maneuver as quick as the smaller boat. You can't complain or sue if you are in a million pieces.

We saw a near miss this summer. A sail boat came close enough to a tanker that it's sail flogged from the wind off the tanker. We thought it was hit because we did not see white sails until they flashed against the dark side of the tanker. It did not respond to radio or the tanker's horn. It was terrifying to watch!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:01   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:
......Thanks for the input, the good and whacky one! I am going with the existing tri color on the bow ( for flat water/ harbour approach type situations). .........
You can't use a tricolor on the bow. I assume your "existing tri color" is in fact a combined red/white light (allowable on boats less than 65 feet LOA), and that you have a separate white stern light.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52   #29

Quote:
For some reason unknown to me, my 2003 Catalina 42 has only an anchor light up top!

I very much prefer a tricolor up there too for visibility so other vessels are able to see me at sea, no matter what the wave height.

I have purchased a tricolor / anchor light fitting but the problem is that only the wiring for anchor light is up there at the top of the mast.

The easiest solution for me is to just wire the tricolor light with existing anchor light wiring and hang out a temporary anchor light each night when required at deck level which illuminates the vessels structure rather than have a little white light up in the sky, often unseen and seemingly unattached to anything!

What do you think?
Hi Jamel, My brother is the current owner of Passage West and he would like to have a chat.
Cole 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cole 26.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote