Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 21:54   #1

MasterVolt DC Distribution 500 vs BEP Proinstaller

MasterVolt DC Distribution 500 vs BEP ProInstaller:

Trying to decide which of these 2 wiring systems is best to clean up my boat's "battery wiring wall".

MasterVolt DC Distribution 500 or BEP ProInstaller?
Anybody have experience with either or both?

I have a House Bank and a Reserve Bank whose 4/0 cables terminate on an existing Heavy Duty (500A) Blue Seas battery selector switch mounted on this wiring bulkhead.

Off the Common output of the switch I need fuse and connect to multiple destinations:

-MasterVolt Inverter/Charger
-Main Panel
-Alternator 1 output
-Alternator 2 output
-Starter solenoid
-Windlass

What is intriguing about the MV DCD 500 is that they combine both the positive 12V bus bar and the system negative bus bar, as well as ANL fuse blocks for each connection, all in one plastic box. I will need 2 boxes, but you they allow you to gang them together.

And since both the 12V positive wires and the negative returns connect to the box from the bottom, it results in a seemingly ultra compact install.

The BEP ProInstaller solution tackles the same problem by providing a system of discrete bus bars and fuse holders of varying size that you can connect together with tinned copper bus bar links. Since their battery selector switch, their bus bars, and fuse holders all have the same height they can bolt together very compactly. Unfortunately it seems to force on you a layout topology of positive wires leaving this cluster vertically in one direction and the negative wires in the opposite direction.

The MV boxes are also connected via MasterBus so that the state of all the fuses can be monitored from one of their EasyView displays and alarms set to alert you if one blows. Never having blown a fuse, I find this interesting but not very compelling.

Anyway, anyone ever install one of both of these systems to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance, J
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rib