Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 01:26   #16
cruiser

Re: Mastervolt Charger/Oyster Question

Poiu,

1. While in anchorages, what is the proper setting for the knob? Min, max or middle?

2. On shore power, what is the proper setting for the knob? Min, max or middle?

Thanks much in advance. I'm still looking for a 66, but it would be difficult to part with our boat now that it's set up just the way we like it with everything new.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 02:05   #17

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Poiu,

1. While in anchorages, what is the proper setting for the knob? Min, max or middle?

2. On shore power, what is the proper setting for the knob? Min, max or middle?

Thanks much in advance. I'm still looking for a 66, but it would be difficult to part with our boat now that it's set up just the way we like it with everything new.

Ken
I'd leave it on max at all times unless you need to restrict the current through the charger because you have limited AC power and you need the AC power to do some other job.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 02:18   #18
cruiser

Thanks, it's always been on the max setting until the past few weeks. Lucky guess on my part.

Cheers

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 05:22   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
That's not correct. It does something very useful, which is to prevent most sulphate build up on the plates, which mainly occurs if the battery is left partially charged.
But that is an effect of getting the bank to full, avoiding PSOC abuse, then keeping it full while stored.

It is not an effect of the lower voltage.

In a storage situation, giving the bank a higher-voltage charge once or twice a week would do the same thing (countering self-discharge).

Also, current from the charge source is immediately available to carry loads, so as not to begin another life-shortening discharge cycle.

The only purpose of the lower voltage is to prevent overcharging, since it is usually active all the time. It is not the lower voltage preventing sulphation.

The equalization protocol does, among other benefits.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 06:21   #20

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I'm sure someone will disagree, but chargers with dials to set the charge are dinosaurs and have led to many a ruined battery. I have replaced lots of them, along with the batteries. If you do use one, get a voltmeter to see what the exact voltage it is set at with the dial and make sure it matches what the battery maker recommends.

Some manufacturers of batteries, FLA not sealed, will say to condition or equalize monthly (e.g. Trojan) but I have found that most owners will not do it that often as it is a PITA. You have to remove all the caps and monitor the acid water level the entire time as they will bubble and expel both gas and water. The hydrogen gas is very flammable so you have to be very careful with sparks/open flames as well when doing that, with good ventilation. You often get battery acid sputtering out of the tops so you have acid on top of the batteries which may run down the sides in to the battery pan/box. So most will either not do it at all, or much more infrequently, than recommended.

I don't believe non-AGM sealed batteries should ever be equalized. AGMs can be per battery manufacturer recommendation only.

Chargers are not inexpensive, but my recommendation would be to replace a dial-set type charger with a more modern one, which are usually set by switches with are pre-set for various charging profiles. All those who have used their dial chargers successfully, kudos to you and keep on with what floats your boat. Not everyone can do that.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:11   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Lifeline is the only one still recommends equalizing their AGM
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, charger, oyster