Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 11:40   #46

Re: Making watertight Splice in Humid bilge area environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Agreed. Therefore what gain is there to soldering this connection? Solder will not flow into the crimped portion.
In fact, proper soldering will flow right thru the crimp. I do it all the time on non marine electronics (vintage radios/amps). On, for instance, an eye end fitting, you can see the solder on the opposite end after soldering.
Although I seldom do it for marine app's, solder will seal the joint entirely also. Just another step in process to make it better. I did solder battery cable ends and the bilgepump splice when under the floor boards though, as well as good shrink tube over it all. That joint will be impervious.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:33   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I don't have the reference pub's handy, but I think that ABYC guidelines give soldered connections a thumbs down. At least as far as standard wiring. Though if someone knows for certain...
Soldered electrical connections are not allowed on USCG inspected passenger vessels. Their reasoning is that with enough heat from overloading, the solder can melt, the wires could then disconnect and this could then create an electrical fire. Or if there is a fire, the fire could cause the solder joints to melt, making things worse. Many of the rules they have come from previous cases.

Don't argue with me. I didn't make this rule. When I captained inspected vessels, some of the rules made no sense or seemed overkill or were excessive.

I sometimes solder wire for data connections. That does not carry enough current to cause a fire.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:38   #48

As mentioned... soldering does not exclude crimping. I wouldn't just solder either.
ABYC: "Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit.”11.16.3.7.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:45   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Soldered electrical connections are not allowed on USCG inspected passenger vessels. Their reasoning is that with enough heat from overloading, the solder can melt, the wires could then disconnect and this could then create an electrical fire. Or if there is a fire, the fire could cause the solder joints to melt, making things worse. Many of the rules they have come from previous cases.

Don't argue with me. I didn't make this rule. When I captained inspected vessels, some of the rules made no sense or seemed overkill or were excessive.

I sometimes solder wire for data connections. That does not carry enough current to cause a fire.
Remember safety regulations are written in blood. ( written to prevent an incident from happening again )
Old 13-10-2017, 09:16   #50
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Agreed. Therefore what gain is there to soldering this connection? Solder will not flow into the crimped portion.
I am not recommending soldering a crimp connector.

My response was contradicting that soldering creates a hard point (any moreso than a crimp does) or is more prone to corrosion (than a crimp is), is flawed.

That being said, soldering a crimp connector is a "belt and suspenders approach".

I don't do it, as I am 100% confident in every connector I crimp, BUT, if one solders the terminal end, it could save the day, especially if using cheap crimp connectors or tools, when (not if) the crimp fails.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 09:36   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I don't have the reference pub's handy, but I think that ABYC guidelines give soldered connections a thumbs down. At least as far as standard wiring. Though if someone knows for certain...
Well no, according to ABYC E11, except for some specific exceptions on battery terminals that are meant to be soldered, that solder shall not be the only means holding the wires together.

ABYC does not preclude one soldering crimped connectors.

(In fact this can make a more reliable connection.)

I believe the main reason standards associations shun solder only connections, is because there can be so much variability in quality and reliability depending on the skill of the operator.

The argument about temp is really weak IMHO. If the cable insulation is only rated for 105C (or possibly less), before it may burn, then solder that doesn't melt until ~185C should not be an issue.
Old 13-10-2017, 09:38   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As mentioned... soldering does not exclude crimping. I wouldn't just solder either.
ABYC: "Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit.”11.16.3.7.
I certainly know this is what the standard states.

I also know there are 100s or 1000s of solder only connections in every MFD or VHF. Go figure. ;-)
Old 13-10-2017, 09:57   #53

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

There are very few instances that require bilge wiring to be spliced. Connections should be made at a terminal strip (as much as possible located away from splashes) using properly crimped and heat-shrunk connectors. The entire connection can be coated with liquid electrical tape or dielectric grease.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, environment, men, water