Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 15:27   #1

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot
Make of Alternator . . . Butec ?

Hi everybody,

does anybody know the make and series of this alternator? It has been serving for around 9000 hours in 20 years and is going to be needed for a little more. I think they are called butec's but not quite sure. Any additional info would be very very welcome.

Also attached a close up of some wiring. I am guessing the single red wire on top exiting to the right is the field wire. The other wires are more or less connected via diodes, I think. Any educated guesses welcome of course.

The three big cables on the alternator pic are going to a bridge rectifier as far as I can tell. Can post a pic of this rectifier later as this is on the boat and I am at home right now.

Should have read Nigel Calders book BEFORE dismantling and winterizing the gen set by the way. Was planning to get the alternator to a rotor shop but after reading his book I am pretty convinced I can do everything myself

Oh yeah, one more question. I ran the gen set without this alternator being attached to any battery bank. again Can I expect blown out diodes on the alternator or rectifier? I have read about not detaching the unit while running but nobody said anything about running them while not connected in the first place. Regrets and doubt came later of course but I had detached it already and still had to winterize the gen set....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	34692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up wiring.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	34693  

heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Make of Alternator . . . Butec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heintje23 View Post
Hi everybody,

does anybody know the make and series of this alternator? It has been serving for around 9000 hours in 20 years and is going to be needed for a little more. I think they are called butec's but not quite sure. Any additional info would be very very welcome.

Also attached a close up of some wiring. I am guessing the single red wire on top exiting to the right is the field wire. The other wires are more or less connected via diodes, I think. Any educated guesses welcome of course.

The three big cables on the alternator pic are going to a bridge rectifier as far as I can tell. Can post a pic of this rectifier later as this is on the boat and I am at home right now.

Should have read Nigel Calders book BEFORE dismantling and winterizing the gen set by the way. Was planning to get the alternator to a rotor shop but after reading his book I am pretty convinced I can do everything myself

Oh yeah, one more question. I ran the gen set without this alternator being attached to any battery bank. again Can I expect blown out diodes on the alternator or rectifier? I have read about not detaching the unit while running but nobody said anything about running them while not connected in the first place. Regrets and doubt came later of course but I had detached it already and still had to winterize the gen set....
What you have there is a Uk built alternator..mostly Jags. and Buses, some Trucks

Leece Nevile purchased that design and built a remote rectifier systems, but they have discontinued that set up long ago. they still have replacement parts.

A motor shop worth their salt, can rewind both the rotor, and the stator, but the remote rectifier might be made available by Leese Neville, plus Zina Alts, or you can build it your self.

Regulation is going to be dependent

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator