Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 17:16   #31

Re: Magnum Energy MSH versus Victron Energy MultiPlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
I have decided to go with the Victron but when I went to buy it, I am faced with three choices. Nowhere on the various sellers' sites or the manufacturer's can I find any information that distinguishes one model form another, (which I find astounding for something so complex and expensive) and all the places are closed. Hopefully someone here has already done the research and found this out.
The three models are:

VICTRON ENERGY MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-50 120V
VICTRON ENERGY MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-16
VICTRON ENERGY MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-50

The last one being $135 more expensive than the first two.

Anyone?
you definitely do not want the 16. that is 16a pass through. I don't know the diff of the other too. based on those numbers they look the same to me.

actully I think the first 120 is the charger in amps not the voltage. so you'd probbaly want the top one in north america. the bottom one is probably 230v

battery volts / watts / charger amps / ac amps pass though
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 19:38   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
I have decided to go with the Victron but when I went to buy it, I am faced with three choices. Nowhere on the various sellers' sites or the manufacturer's can I find any information that distinguishes one model form another, (which I find astounding for something so complex and expensive) and all the places are closed. Hopefully someone here has already done the research and found this out.
The three models are:

The last one being $135 more expensive than the first two.

Anyone?
I'm not sure where you are looking but those are not all North American models. In North America there is only one 3000 watt Multiplus - 12/3000/120 and it is 120 volt/60 cycles. The only other one commonly sold in NA is 24 volts, not 12.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 00:03   #33

Quote:
The three models are:

The top one is the 120V version, with a 50A transfer switch
The middle is the 230V version, with a 16A transfer switch
The bottom is the 230V version, wit a 50A transfer switch
Old 09-07-2016, 00:33   #34

Quote:
So you can do everything with the Color Controller that you can do with a computer?

Also, what can the Color controller do that the Blue Power Panel can't, besides display in color? It's about half the price of the color.
You can actually do more with the Blue Power Panel (BPP) than you can with the Color Control GX (CCGX), at least directly. The CCGX is an end-user interface that ties most Victron devices together, so you get a nice graphical view of the inverter, solar, battery monitor, etc., if you're into centrally controlled systems. It is not used (directly) to configure the system at install. But it will connect to the Internet, and configuration can be done that way.

The BPP has nearly full control over the inverter/charger, but does not interface with solar or monitors.

Another way to configure is with a USB adapter. And to throw in even more variables, there is a basic remote, the Digital Multi Control GX, which will turn the unit on and off and control the charging rate.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12   #35

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Although Obi Wan may have made the decision already on what inverter to buy, but may I add another few choices for those who are in the same boat?

I considered the brands and models mentioned in this thread as well, but I had on my previous boat for many years a Taiwanese inverter, marketed by a variety of companies, similar to the ones below.
All of them sell 3000 W, 12 Volt units, and can be ordered in 110 and 230 V versions, 50 or 60 Hz. All of these have a heavy tyroidal transformer, and thus are of 'low frequency' type.
SUPER ICISS 4000/12
http://webbuilder3.asiannet.com/ftp/...%20Charger.pdf
( 800W – 3000W ) – KIPOINT Enterprise Co., Ltd.
Hmm, photos for this last unit show the back of the inverter, maybe quite appropriately as inverters are installed in out-of-he way corners and used via a remote control.
BTW, the aforementioned units (front and back panels in each) are virtually identical, save the solar regulator.

I am still looking......
Old 10-07-2016, 22:17   #36

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
What does he mean "boost" function? And if the second circuit is not coming through the inverter, what difference does it make to the inverter? At the risk of answering my own question, do you set the limit of the incoming power, and it subtracts the second circuit from what it sends to charge the batteries?
The boost function allows one to make up for short term demand in excess of shore power or generator by pulling additional power from the batteries, make additional AC power from the batteries to supplement the incoming shore / generator power.

I am running an 8kva victron Quattro inverter with the color control gx.

I only have 3.6 kva coming in via isolation transformer but routinely source as much as 12kva for a few minutes at a time as a liveaboard.

No problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 14:23   #37

Boat: O'Day 34

Apparently the -16 has a 16 amp transfer switch, and the one without the 120V at the end is a 230 volt model.
Old 08-08-2016, 19:13   #38

Boat: O'Day 34

I did go with the Multiplus 3000 and am happy with it so far, though I have had trouble getting the Blue Power Panel controller to work (it still works without it).
Discussion here: Victron Multiplus AC-out-2 - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums