Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 07:45   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: M3-20 Universal - Gauges flicker, power drops and engine stops

Have you tried shorting across the two large terminals on the solenoid with a hefty screwdriver? But my bet is on the trailer connectors in the wiring harness to/from the instrument panel.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 08:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Have you tried shorting across the two large terminals on the solenoid with a hefty screwdriver? But my bet is on the trailer connectors in the wiring harness to/from the instrument panel.
One way. Another way to do it is simply run a separate wire from the panel while it's open and you're in there. Less sparks???
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 10:59   #18

Boat: Catalina 28 mkII

Hi capt jgw, the previous owner of this boat was an electrician and he replaced all of that stuff. no trailer plugs or any sign of excess length in wiring.
amandak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 16:03   #19

SOLVED!!! Yes!!! I am so happy! After cleaning the connections I decided to pull the shrink wrap/ tape off of all the connectors and I found the culprit (I have attempted to attach a photo)!

The wires in the connector to the solenoid had been completely severed. It must have been the vibrations of the engine that caused it. The power kept going in and out b/c they would randomly touch, but then disconnect, touch then disconnect etc. Got a new ring, crimped the severed wire in there, taped it up and Bob's you're uncle - everything runs like a dream. It will do til I get back to Vancouver where I will have it soldered.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!!!

Amanda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trouble.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	154070  
Old 13-08-2017, 21:42   #20

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post
SOLVED!!! Yes!!! I am so happy! After cleaning the connections I decided to pull the shrink wrap/ tape off of all the connectors and I found the culprit (I have attempted to attach a photo)!

The wires in the connector to the solenoid had been completely severed. It must have been the vibrations of the engine that caused it. The power kept going in and out b/c they would randomly touch, but then disconnect, touch then disconnect etc. Got a new ring, crimped the severed wire in there, taped it up and Bob's you're uncle - everything runs like a dream. It will do til I get back to Vancouver where I will have it soldered.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!!!

Amanda
Good deal, with most electrical problems it's almost always a bad connection somewhere (which can cause other faults/failures too).

But a caution: Soldered connections aren't really a good idea in a marine environment.
It's a topic of some argument around here, but I think the general consensus is-- 'solder bad', 'well-made crimping good'.

I think "Maine Sail", et al., has covered the proper methods of making connections here and on his own website.

In addition, my own method is to always add some corrosion inhibiting 'grease' (like No-Ox) directly to the wire ends before crimping any terminals.
I take the stripped wire ends and just insert into the nozzle of the No-Ox tube, take out and 'massage' the grease into the wire strands (and hopefully a bit under/over the insulation jacket), then crimp the connection as usual (also apply a little No-Ox to the terminal connection itself).
Every connection. May be a bit messy, but so is corrosion.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 06:04   #21

Thank you TX j, great advice. I thought to solder as it looks like the severed connection was soldered. I will take your advice and redo everything when I get back (I didn't grease it!). Thanks again!

Amanda

Tags
engine