Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 12:03   #1

Lost all electricity on Catalina 27

This is the first time I have posted on this forum, but I am in need of some advice. My 1985 Catalina 27' and I have had a great sailing season here in New England... until last weekend.

Last weekend I dropped the sails and engaged the 14 HP diesel to motor into the marina after a great day of sailing. The diesel had been working fine all day. However, after just a few minutes on the final approach, the engine died. I tried to turn the ignition to bring the engine back to life again, but there was not enough juice in the battery.
Thankfully I was able to sail gently into the slip.
I later learned that it is possible someone turned my power switch to OFF while the engine was engaged, but I am not sure if that is true.
After tying up, I plugged into shore-power with no results. The A/C power light did not illuminate. This is strange because everything with shore A/C power was fine as of that morning when I departed the marina.
I then tested the batteries and found that Battery 1 has some juice in it, but Battery 2 is dead.

What the heck happened and how can I fix it?

My guess is that the generator (brand: Charge Pro, Model: Guest) died a while ago and was not charging batteries through the shore power. Perhaps that is also why the shore A/C power is not working now.

It is also possible something got fried if the power selector was on OFF while the engine was running. If so, what would have been fried? Relatedly, is there a circuit breaker for the A/C power somewhere? (NOTE - My circuit board has fuses, not circuit breakers).
NE Catalina 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:09   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Lost all electricity on Catalina 27

Most chargers/ rectifiers have a fuse.

Did you use a multimeter to see if there is AC at the outlet? At the end of the cord?
Old 05-08-2022, 12:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Catalina 27 View Post
T
I later learned that it is possible someone turned my power switch to OFF while the engine was engaged, but I am not sure if that is true.

YES, IT IS EASY TO BLOW THE DIODE BLOCK IN AN ALTERNATOR IF FEEDING AN OPEN CIRCUIT (BATTERY SWITCH OFF).

My guess is that the generator (brand: Charge Pro, Model: Guest) died a while ago and was not charging batteries through the shore power. Perhaps that is also why the shore A/C power is not working now.

THAT IS A BATTERY CHARGER, NOT GENERATOR. WHEN IT RECEIVES 120 VAC SHORE POWER, BATTERY VOLTAGE SHOULD GO FROM 12 SOMETHING TO OVER 13.2 VDC.

ANSWER IN SOLID LETTER CAPS.
Wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 18:04   #4

Thank you to both of you. I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me.

I spent some time experimenting with various things and determined that one of the batteries had gone bad and I believe that was causing other electrical problems.
NE Catalina 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 18:32   #5

sounds like your have mulple issues.

the engine / battery should not die when it's running. the alternator may not be charging and you'll need to check that.

you have an AC issue that is stopping the charger from charging. the light being off doesn't mean much, they burn out all the time. you'll need to dig deeper
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, electric, lost