Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2011, 09:48   #16

Re: Long term charging during storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You don't need to worry about water loss if you leave your batteries hooked up to a good three stage charger.

David
This could be an additional reason why I've had to water my batteries less since buying my bank of T-105's - I upgraded to a new 3 stage charger at the same time I replaced my old batteries. If your buying a new 3 stage charger anyway, you might as well see how it goes without spending the extra for the water miser caps - you can always buy them later.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 13:49   #17
R_C

Boat: 38' Marine Trader
Re: Long term charging during storage?

Just wanted to give an update. We left the boat on the hard in Florida from mid May through December with the Xantrex TrueCharge 40+ turned on. When we arrived in late December the three Trojan T-1275s, which are just one year old, had no noticeable water loss. I added very little distilled water to each cell but it was probably unnecessary. I was also surprised to see that each cell's specific gravity tested higher than when i finished equalizing just before the layup. It appears that good batteries and a good multi-stage smart charger mean minimal water loss.

- Rick
R_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, storage