Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 07:45   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Linking just the negatives of two batteries in series

I am trying to clean up the spider web of cables around my battery bank. I'm building a battery box as part of the process.

The neatest way to do this is to run the outside negative through the box across the inside battery and then have 2 negative cables running to the ground on the transmission housing.

However that got me to thinking. Can't I just run the two negative terminals in series creating just one cable to ground.

I'd have two positives back to the main switch as always.

The batteries are 27 DC with 750 CCA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	232248  
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:58   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Linking just the negatives of two batteries in series

Negatives are linked for parallel, not series...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	series_parallel.png
Views:	156
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	232252  
Old 10-02-2021, 09:05   #3

I see batteries in neither Series or Parallel. I see two battery banks each with a single battery.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:22   #4

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
I am trying to clean up the spider web of cables around my battery bank. I'm building a battery box as part of the process.

The neatest way to do this is to run the outside negative through the box across the inside battery and then have 2 negative cables running to the ground on the transmission housing.

However that got me to thinking. Can't I just run the two negative terminals in series creating just one cable to ground.

I'd have two positives back to the main switch as always.

The batteries are 27 DC with 750 CCA
Yes. Mine have been that way for years. It makes sense since there is a common ground somewhere anyway. One is the start battery, the other a deep-cycle house battery. I connect the 2 negatives with a cable, and one of the 2 to the ground with another cable.

Fair winds,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I see batteries in neither Series or Parallel. I see two battery banks each with a single battery.
Yes. Exactly. That is the starting point.

The question is can I run the negative from terminal to terminal (parallel, thank you) and thence on to the ground connection.

It appears the answer is yes.

Follow up question, do I have to increase the gauge of the negative ground wire because it is now carrying increased load?
Old 10-02-2021, 15:07   #6

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Yes. Exactly. That is the starting point.

The question is can I run the negative from terminal to terminal (parallel, thank you) and thence on to the ground connection.

It appears the answer is yes.

Follow up question, do I have to increase the gauge of the negative ground wire because it is now carrying increased load?
Depends on the length of cable. Check the tables, for a very short cable, there might not be any significant voltage drop with your existing cabling, assuming re-use.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
Depends on the length of cable. Check the tables, for a very short cable, there might not be any significant voltage drop with your existing cabling, assuming re-use.
I'm having all new cables made that's part of why I'm asking. The length is about 4'
Old 11-02-2021, 08:59   #8

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

If the batteries aren't part of the same bank, I think it's probably OK to 'daisy-chain' the negatives together and then run only one wire to the ground buss. Just make sure the cable is a large enough gauge.

Batteries on the same bank though should all have identical-length cables run to the busses.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:05   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
I'm having all new cables made that's part of why I'm asking. The length is about 4'
we also need to know the existing AWG wire size and highest amperage expected to tell if the existing cable is okay... wire size charts are also easy to look up yourself, btw.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:39   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

There is no harm in oversizing the common ground cable. Your highest current draw is probably starting your engine, and that's a time where minimizing voltage drop can make a noticeable difference.
I once made oversize battery cables for a car I owned (the parts were free) and the engine cranked noticeably faster.
With your current battery arrangement, you do not need to keep cable lengths the same.
There is a lot that can be learned from a good book on 12v systems.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:52   #11

I see several opposite polarity wires crossing and laying in direct contact with each other which wires are NOT fuse protected such that if they short to each other there will be huge and unprotected circuit of power.

Never have opposite polarity wiring or cabling come in contact, or potential contact with each other, if such portion of the positive polarity wire or cable is not protected by circuit breaking devices, [a fuse or a circuit breaker] to the source of the power, be that source the terminal of a battery or a bus connection.

The wiring in the image is hazardous and amateurish. Makes me wonder what the rest of the wiring is like.

Question:

Is this bank of batteries:
1) two completely separate battery banks;
or are they
2) two batteries in parallel circuitry?

Answer the above question, then and only then can forum members provide guidance.

Awaiting your response.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:30   #12

Quote:
The "length" of a circuit is its complete pathway from the positive power source and back to the negative of the power supply.

Do not calculate your gauge size based on just the length from the source to the load, or to a component within the circuit, e.g., to a common bus.

One needs to calculate the resistance and voltage drop across the entirety of the electrical circuit and each component thereof needs to have adequacy of ampacity.

THINK CIRCUIT, not partials of circuits.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:47   #13

I see a number of circuits coming from those batteries that don't have a fuse at the battery. Bad idea. Plus neither battery seems to have a battery tie-down strap. Again, bad idea.

To answer your question you can connect both negatives together at the batteries and run one ground to the engine if thats where your common ground is located. It isn't parallel or series. Just a common connection.
RigBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:14   #14

Boat: Hunter 30 G

Geez, everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over your picture of batteries, good thing they can't see mine!! There would be a rush on the emergency room.
Old 11-02-2021, 17:54   #15

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigBig View Post
I see a number of circuits coming from those batteries that don't have a fuse at the battery. Bad idea. Plus neither battery seems to have a battery tie-down strap. Again, bad idea.

To answer your question you can connect both negatives together at the batteries and run one ground to the engine if thats where your common ground is located. It isn't parallel or series. Just a common connection.

Not series, not parallel, common connection for ground
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	series_parallel_not.png
Views:	92
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	232328  

Tags
batteries