Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 14:52   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Link Lite or Victron BVM 600

Probably a stupid question as I am just about done with anything that has the xantrex name on it but I'll ask anyway.

I have a Freedom 25 inverter charger and a Link 2000R that is on its last leg. Also am using the Ideal Alternator regulator that came with the 2000R. I have not been able to get the 2000R to make the charger go into equalization mode despite every attempt at resetting, clearing memory, reprogramming, restoring defaults etc. The 2000R will tell you it is in equalization mode with the right lights flashing etc. but the voltage never climbs and the charger never actually goes into eq mode. Also the 2000R often will freeze up and have be repowered to start working again. I was able to borrow a freedom remote control panel for the inverter charger and using it the charger went into equalization mode just fine telling me the problem is with the 2000R not the charger. I then called xantrex and asked about being able to still use the Ideal Alternator regulator without the 2000R as I was considering a link lite. They said the regulator would not funtion properly with out the 2000R and that I would need to buy a separate alternator regulator to use with the link lite.

So I am going to install my spare regulator (Balmar 614), buy the freedom remote panel and install in the hole the 2000R used to occupy, and buy a new battery monitor. Looking like Jamestown Dist. will sell a Victron 600 for about $160. Or do I give xantrex some more of my money for a product they likely wont support in 3 years?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 15:42   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
I bought a Victron 600 from Jamestown this fall and had some problems with it [faulty lead wire] the support from both Victron and Jamestown was above exceptional. The Victron 600 is a great unit, easy to install and far as I can see does everything you need. I could'nt find the reason to spend more and the support I recieved make feel very comfortable with my decsion.

Hi Ho
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:14   #3

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida
Victron 600 is a great product. mine has never failed and is a simple installation.
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:04   #4
AAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho View Post
Ithe support from both Victron and Jamestown was above exceptional.
Hi Ho
Hi,

Could you provide details about your experience directly with Victron, I called them and spoke with Chris about an issue connecting a remote panel. He asked questions about where I purchased the Victron items and where I was located; and asked if I would email him the serial number.

The issue was resolved over email, but I was left with the impression that Victron would rather deal directly with the installer/dealer rather than the end user.

Also, Does anyone know if Victron's technical support in the US just one person?
AAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:14   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Also, Does anyone know if Victron's technical support in the US just one person?
Victron is Dutch; the big guys are in Holland. Don't hesitate to mail them at their headquarters. I did and all went perfectly. Their battery monitor is top gear.

If you have NMEA2000 and a display that can deal with Maretron DC sensor module, I would go for that Maretron module instead.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03   #6

My experience was a good one, I first started with the dealer and when they tried to help and was unsucessful I called tech support at Victron in N.J. Not sure of how many tech's they have but, I think it was Chris that helped me. Not only did they give me the techs cell number because he was out of the shop, he called me several times when he was out on the road to follow up to make sure everything was ok. I can tell you that I will purchase again from Jamestown and not hesitate to purchase a Victron product even if they are not the cheapest because of their customer support.

S/V Hi Ho
Old 09-02-2011, 06:54   #7

Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the Victron unit. Nick can you elaborate on the Maretron sensor?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the Victron unit. Nick can you elaborate on the Maretron sensor?
Yes, I mean this sensor: Maretron : Marine Electronic Instruments

but check if it's compatible with your N2K display(s). The only safe bet is to use a Maretron 200/250 display (or their PC software of course). I think many others will show you voltage and current but state of charge etc. are a next step up where many displays will not go.

The datasheet shows the PGNs sent by this sensor... just check if your displays support them.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46   #9

Thanks Nick. Very nice piece of equipment but I probably will pass on the $500 price tag. I still have some Dorades to buy
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20   #10

Unhappy

The BOAT dollar doesn't go very far these days!!
Old 09-02-2011, 19:38   #11

Good to read this, I just got a BMV-600S the other day (not installed yet).

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote