Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 14:06   #31

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: LiFePO4: Help me choose a BMS

Yes, I am actually spending the majority of my time on your "LiFeYPO4, solar and electric galley..." thread. There are now over 500 pages of posts, so I slowly going from page to page and read everything and copying posts that relevant to my build into my iPad so I can re-read when I am done with everything. I am guessing that somewhere in that thread will be answers to my latching relay driver question. I saw photos of it, with nice build clear box and LEDs but have not seen schematics and components used.
beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 14:57   #32

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Can the REC BMS or Orion for that matter turn off devices for example Victron MPPT controllers or Inverters? Actually being able to turn these devices off via remote input is much preferable to just cutting the patch to the battery via relay or contractor.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:43   #33

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Can the REC BMS or Orion for that matter turn off devices for example Victron MPPT controllers or Inverters? Actually being able to turn these devices off via remote input is much preferable to just cutting the patch to the battery via relay or contractor.
It can, but you have to plan this in your system design. It is your responsibility to chose how to do it and to implement then the necessary logic. The BMS creates the signals, you have to catch them and do the right things with them. There are many ways to do this. You can use relay contacts, digital outputs or even CAN messages, you have all options available. The Art is to design the system integration part, the BMS is only a building block, that delivers the input, you need to process it and distribute it to your gear.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:56   #34

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The Victron MPPTs remote off works by using a VE.Direct non inverting remote on/off cable. The device is on when the signal on the cable is high, and off when it's removed. These are pretty much plug and play on the Dacus. Since the MPPT controllers are my only power input,I may go route save, making things more complicated with additional relays. A Battery protect on the low side, and the job is done.

I think anything will be an improvement on the Daly BMS I've been using this past year.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4