Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 14:49   #1

Boat: 47' Cutter
LED Tricolour/anchor light- which one?

Hi, the mast is down and all jobs on it must be done. Number 1 is replacing the tricolour/anchor light with an LED unit. Looking at Hella/AquaSignal/Lopolight. Which one is best? Or is there something else out there better? Over 12m so need a good 2nm visibility or more!
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:30   #2

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
If 24v then definitely aqua signal which I am very pleased with.

The regulator for some of the others have been known to overheat in the tropics in 24v systems.

Also, some have had noise issues with the regulator when in close proximity to the vhf antenna.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 16:20   #3

Re: LED Tricolour/anchor light- which one?

Thanks Botany Bay,

It's a 12v system, missed putting that bit in. Plan to head to cooler and warmer waters, so need something that will cope with a range of temperatures. Hope for good conditions, but need to plan for the full range.
Old 18-01-2014, 11:11   #4

Boat: Tartan T4400

I have been very satisfied with Lopolight tricolor anchor mast head combo. I orginally had the card fiber one and it failed. Lopolight replaced it no questions asked. They discontinued the carbon fiber so I have an aluminum housing now.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 14:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Just checked the prices of the Lopolight. Crazy high. What can make them worth 200% more than other lights. Good service, willingness to stand behind their products counts for something, but jeez!!
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 11:32   #6

Boat: Tartan T4400

What I think makes them worth the price is life expectancy 50K hours, the construction multi LED so if one fails you still have a light. They are rated water proof.
The housing is machined aluminum not a stamped aluminum/plastic screwed together housing. I orignianlly had a carbon housing which they had issues with and no longer make. I was very light and if they brought it back I would serioulsy think about putting it back on. I do know it was the brightest anchor light around a very clean white light. You can also add an adapter for the windex for the mast head tri light so you do not need a windes lights.
So theyare my 2 cents.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 15:21   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

LED Lighting for Boats, Navigation, exterior and interior Lights – Neptune's Gear Ltd

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 20:40   #8

If your current light uses a double bayonet or single bayonet bulb, then go to an RV store and get a 12 volt led replacement bulb for about 15 bucks. Bright, cool running, long lasting, cheap.
Sheetbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 21:21   #9

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

The neptune light looks like a decent price for a mast tri color.
I was looking at the aqua signal steaming combo deck light. That is crazy expensive too like the lopolight. All the other ones look like cheap plastic crap though. Wonder why Neptune doesn't make a steaming / deck led?
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 21:36   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMarine View Post
Hi, the mast is down and all jobs on it must be done. Number 1 is replacing the tricolour/anchor light with an LED unit. Looking at Hella/AquaSignal/Lopolight. Which one is best? Or is there something else out there better? Over 12m so need a good 2nm visibility or more!
I just went through this exercise last year.

I rejected the Lopo because of widespread and consistent reports of failures. You don't want to risk that at the masthead where you might not even detect a failure until it's put you in danger, and where replacement is a lot of work. Great customer service can be a cold comfort when what you really need is total reliability. The very high cost was just icing on the cake.

I looked at the Hella, but in the event went with the new Aqua Signal tricolor/anchor light. According to Practical Boatowner, which tested all these a little over a year ago, the Aqua Signal optical performance is superior to the Lopo and others. Plus this is already AS's second generation of LED lights. Plus AS is a large German company which makes nav lights for ships, so have the resources and experience to do serious R&D, something Lopo, an artisan-type company, seems not to have done.

So for me the choice was clear. When I received the Aqua Signal light, I was very pleased at the very robust construction, and performance is great - much better optically than the incandescent light it replaced. The reasonable price was merely a bonus.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 23:12   #11

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

I'm fulltime cruising with a Nasa Combi-light and I'm very happy with it. Only needs one cable, switching +/- poles changes between anchor and tri-color light. Always the most bright anchorlight in the anchorage, same for the tri-color, very bright.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 23:16   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregts View Post
I'm fulltime cruising with a Nasa Combi-light and I'm very happy with it. Only needs one cable, switching +/- poles changes between anchor and tri-color light. Always the most bright anchorlight in the anchorage, same for the tri-color, very bright.
Thanks for posting. I was looking at that too, but wasn't sure how well it worked. How long have you had it?

Matt
Old 02-02-2014, 23:25   #13

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Thanks for posting. I was looking at that too, but wasn't sure how well it worked. How long have you had it?

Matt
One year, the first batch had a problem a few years ago but the problems where resolved. I got mine of amazon last year january.
Some posts on the internet report problems with the light when used while on shore power. I never do that, no idea why I would have a nav light on while on shore power. The led's can have a problem with the voltage peaks produced by some battery chargers.

Talked with some cargo vessels during the 5000NM we did last year and they always reported to have good a visual on the nav light.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48   #14

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Got one of the Misea ones a couple years ago so far so good.
LED TriAnchor (2 or 3 Wire Installation) led navigation lights [LXTA-12/24V] - $349.00 : MISEA Group!, Marine Safety Energy Affiliates
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37   #15

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bregts - NASA make very good products. We have used their instruments on our old boat with no problems in 15 years! Well, except getting through 2 sets of wind cups, but the after sales service was exceptional. The website says only OK up to 12m, but 2nm visibility is OK up to 20m for sidelights and anchor, unless I need to brush up on my Colregs

Dockhead - will revisit the AquaSignal offering. We've had Hella bottom Nav lights on our old boat (under 12m) and they have been OK. Any reason for choosing AquaSignal over Hella?

Dana-Tenacity - Optolamp is a new name for me and I'll check this out further.

Colin A - MISEA is, again, a new name for me and I'll check this out further.

RV/bulb replacement route- not going to persue this one.

Tags
anchor