Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.53 average. Display Modes
Old 29-09-2010, 04:09   #31

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
When I have my FM stereo on and then turn on one of the sensibulbs I get interference. Turn off the sensibulb no interference. I do not get this from the other Alpenglow compact flourescents.
Have you contacted Nick at Sailor Solutions? He was involved in the development and stands by the product.

Barry
s/v Beach Cruiser
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:36   #32

Boat: Taswell 49
I have no problenm with the CFL Alpenglow lights, its the Sensibulb LED lights that cause static when the FM stereo is on. Thinking I just need to add ferittes to these lights although I rarely listen to FM so its pretty low on the priority list. Need to check VHF.

You know I have not contacted Nick maybe I will. Its not a big deal to me and I would not trade the sensibulbs for the world. They are by far the best LED cabinlighting product I have ever seen
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan
...static when the FM stereo is on... Need to check VHF.
If they cause interference on the FM broadcast frequencies then there is a very high probability that they will also cause interference on the Marine VHF (also FM) frequencies.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 09:36   #34

Boat: Allures 44
Of even more interest than cabin lights might be the LED lamp that is mounted near your VHF antenna. Practical Sailor evaluated the RFI from a handful of tri-color lights. They found the Lopo light was the cleanest, while the OGM was fairly noisy.

Just passing this on.... I don't know what the real-world impact would be on your VHF.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 10:24   #35

Boat: 60' Ferro Cutter Sloop
We have LED's throughout our boat. Have had zero problems for 2+ years. One thing most folks forget to do is voltage limit the lights. The factory says theya re for a 12V circuit so we boaters figure that our boat is 12V so it'll work.. Yes, they will for a very short period and because your engine running, and a good charged battery is higher than 12V, it burns the diodes out much faster than having a regulated 12V line in.

i.e. regulate the voltage to your LED's for just under the rated voltage - 11.9V (7812 chip) for a 12 V unit and they will last for 200,000 hours. Contact me for more information about LED's and how to use them. It's part of what we do. Divine Energies - Home

Cheers.
John & Lucy
S/V Stone Age
pacific Northwest - for now...
Old 02-10-2010, 13:36   #36
cruiser

. Incidentally some ships travel at speed at night without lights. I did hear about a yachtsman spotting an unlit vessel with his AIS. As it was travelling at 25 knots unlit he decided to call them. It turned out that they were the military on exercise and they were not very happy about being spotted.[/QUOTE]

After spending billions on the stealth bomber, the Aussies called up the US military and told them anyone can clearly see the shadows of them on the desert from youtube.
They weren't very happy about that either.

By the time you are close enough for brightness to matter , LED lights are bright enough for the job. Who cares who is anchored five miles away?
Having ones anchor lights low enough to not be lost in shore lights is far more important, in urban areas.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:23   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
... After spending billions on the stealth bomber, the Aussies called up the US military and told them anyone can clearly see the shadows of them on the desert from youtube. They weren't very happy about that either...

... Who cares who is anchored five miles away?...
That sounds like a typically apocryphal story, to me.
Of what possible military use would anyone make of a YouTube image depicting a shadow on the ground?

Someone travelling at speed might appreciate a 5 mile (or greater) warning.
Certainly, anyone singlehanding would appreciate it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:30   #38
cruiser

My mistake . It was google earth which showed the shadows of the stealth bombers on the desert.
Traveling at speed, one would have to be drunk, to not see an anchor light in time, in the last quarter mile.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 22:47   #39

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: LED Anchor Light Update

Or texting.
Wow, blast from the past.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 14:10   #40

A part from the neon tube, nothing equal the standard lifht bulb for reading or just needing light. When sailing, to be seen at safe distance, again the right bulb is better. At anchor it has been proved that mast light is not as safe as a good storm oil light (petrol light). Mine was made in england, double glass, visible at more than two miles, hanged no more than 25' above water.
At sea I rather prefer the reliable than the new gizmos, all you need is good batteries, today the Optima (spiral cells) offer great capacity for less weight and if the price seems higher, they last twice the time than standard batteries, they even golf golf cart 6v and they are maintenance free.
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:01   #41

Just wondering if any of you use a regulator to control voltge for the LEDs. I have just installed LEDs with a regulator but too soon to say if it is good.
I have a regulator that will not permit the voltage to go above 12 for the lights.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:26   #42

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
Just wondering if any of you use a regulator to control voltge for the LEDs. I have just installed LEDs with a regulator but too soon to say if it is good.
I have a regulator that will not permit the voltage to go above 12 for the lights.
Bob
Decent replacement bulbs will have a regulator (PWM preferred) already built into the bulb. They will have a spec sheet that will include the acceptable input voltage.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:52   #43

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead...

Quality LED lamps and bulbs will have a regulator that is both "buck" and "boost". A buck circuit limits the maximum voltage the LEDs receive, and a boost circuit raises the voltage if needed, so the LEDs will always see the same voltage (and thus have a constant luminosity and a longer life). Early LED lamps weren't regulated so LEDs frequently burned out from the higher charge voltages found on many cruisers' boats. These days the regulator is available in a single, small IC package, and there is no excuse for not including one.

BTW take a look at Lunasea for some excellent LED lamps, including nav lights at an attractive price (when discounted). Lunasea Lighting, Inc.
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 13:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Or texting.
Wow, blast from the past.
Agreed but it works! And last almost a seamen's life.
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50   #45

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

I'm now shopping for a new LED anchor light. I saw some recommendations for OGM Orca Green Marine. They were a while ago. Are there any more that people are using and are happy with? I saw some negative comments on the West Marine web site about Aqua Signal LEDs so I'll probably stay away from them. I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor