Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 20:35   #46

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Re: Lead Crystal Batteries in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbush View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about lead crystal batteries in Australia on the wikicamps forum. From my recollection the supplier revised the minimum charge rate to c/3 for at least occasional recharges. I can't link as the forum requires an app to view. Worth joining as there is more Australia specific discussion of batteries, although obviously aimed at campers and caravanners.
They did sound promising with the ability to do very low discharge without damage. Testing was done by one wikicamps member and showed promise. But how do you charge a 900ah bank at 300amps on solar? The bank would have to be split in three even to use a honda generator at its max 100amps.
Thanks swampbush I will check it out. I only have 200 amps of house & rely on solar.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 07:11   #47

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
Hi
Is there anyone out there cruising with lead crystal 12v batteries that are only relying on solar power for charging?

Please check the attached technical bulletin.

They are amazing batteries, BTW, I use them as traction batteries in my electric propulsion system and I cannot be happier with them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Betta Batteries Charging Bulletin 2018.pdf (275.3 KB, 75 views)
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 14:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Please check the attached technical bulletin.

They are amazing batteries, BTW, I use them as traction batteries in my electric propulsion system and I cannot be happier with them.
Thanks Alberto. I have read the article & have decided against them. If I regularly had access to shore power, then yes they would be suitable. Out on the anchor & relying on the solar panels, the necessary input voltage is unattainable.
Also thanks to Swampbush I have read the wiki camp forums & yes a few failures due to not being able to supply enough voltage for the recommended recharge.
Old 19-08-2019, 14:52   #49
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Voltages are **not** the problem

Current (amps) is the issue.

Small bank, lots of panels, problem goes away.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 14:53   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Voltages are **not** the problem

Current (amps) is the issue.

Small bank, lots of panels, problem goes away.
True should have said amps!
Old 21-08-2019, 06:14   #51

Boat: Voyage Catamaran 50 ft

Just to add to this as I haven’t read all the posts since I started it, I believe the company who is supplying them here in Australia have been taking to court for their products and I believe it is in the millions they are being pursued for. Buyer beware
SV.Louna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 21:44   #52

Hi all,
I'll re-awaken the thread as we just had the same experience, so this wasn't an isolated incident. These things are fragile on charging.

I just cooked 3x120Ah units by running them for a day at 13.8-14.04V on a long motoring run. I had set my regulator to 13.8 float but it doesn't have a temp sensor and the voltage crept up during the day.

Re Solar, I have been charging at lower amps via solar at 5-15A for 18months and they seemed fine until now. I don't know if this contributed to making them more sensitive to overcharging when they finally got full, which doesn't really often to us often as we are never on shore power and don't have a genset.

Anyway, IMHO we are not worthy of their stringent charging requirements, depending as we do on solar. I can't see how many cruisers can be.

I did ask the supplier if the min 0.1C was required and they said no, but not in writing.

So now I have learnt an $1800 lesson and have just ordered some local AGMs that handle a float voltage over 14V. I couldn't get trojans at a good price here or I'd go back to that.
From now on I'll leave the bleeding edge to others. Maybe next set I need LIFEPO4 will be cheap - please go buy them so prices come down.

Cheers,
John
SV Libby
Australia
Bound around the world, now in Malaysia.
sv Libby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia