Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2021, 06:25   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36
Large draw watermaker off batteries/solar/wind ... ok?

- I have 450AH battery bank, 390 watts solar, and a wind generator. I almost never have issues with keeping my batteries charged and they rarely drop below 80%.

- I have been looking at watermakers recently and have been strongly considering the portable rainman system that does 37gph.

- Its an AC powered watermaker which draws 1250 watts AC. So roughly it will roughly draw DC amps of 105 amps through my inverter.

Questions is ... will drawing ~105amps for an hour, once or twice a week be destructive to my batteries?

Thanks
SailingQuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:07   #2
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Large draw watermaker off batteries/solar/wind ... ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingQuin View Post
- I have 450AH battery bank, 390 watts solar, and a wind generator. I almost never have issues with keeping my batteries charged and they rarely drop below 80%.

- I have been looking at watermakers recently and have been strongly considering the portable rainman system that does 37gph.

- Its an AC powered watermaker which draws 1250 watts AC. So roughly it will roughly draw DC amps of 105 amps through my inverter.

Questions is ... will drawing ~105amps for an hour, once or twice a week be destructive to my batteries?

Thanks
Not if your batteries are lithium.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:09   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Why not look at far more energy efficient 12V watermaker? A 12V/14gph water maker run for three hours makes 42gallons at 19amp/hr or total of 57 amp/hr from your battery bank and skip the inverter altogether and use basically half the energy and gain more water production.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:29   #4

well, several reasons. the most important of which is portability.

- It doesn't increase the value of my boat to add it, so I'd like to have to ability to take it with me when/if I change boats
- non portable units are a reasonably large installation process (speaking from experience on a prior boat)
- space ... I have lazerette space, but don't have space where I'd need to mount a permanent unit, not to mention requiring access to through hulls... etc
- time ... I don't want to spend 3+ hrs ever 5 days making water when i can do it in one hour

Back to question at hand ... how does a large draw for an hour impact the longevity of deep cycle lead acid batteries?
Old 12-05-2021, 08:25   #5

Boat: Feeling 44 DI

Good question, one that I've asked myself. I run a 12V Dessalator unit off 400 amps lead acid storage while the solar panels are performing at their best, with a net load of around 18 -22 amps. The research I've done indicates a net draw of 10% of storage is OK, and I don't seem to have any negative issues wirh the batteries.
Markb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:32   #6

We have a similar set up, but with lithium batteries. We use a seawater pro that makes 45 gallons per hour. Our 3K inverter works fine. The seawater pro ramps up electrical use as you increase the gallons per hour. If the rain man ramps up electrical use as you Increase GPH, I would expect that you’d be OK. The question is how much energy is required at the start up of the electrical motor. Once you’re running you should be fine, but requires much more energy then the operational load. We use 100 Amps to produce about 50 gallons. With lithium that’s not an issue. I’m not sure how good that is for your batteries.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:33   #7
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb250 View Post
Good question, one that I've asked myself. I run a 12V Dessalator unit off 400 amps lead acid storage while the solar panels are performing at their best, with a net load of around 18 -22 amps. The research I've done indicates a net draw of 10% of storage is OK, and I don't seem to have any negative issues wirh the batteries.
I agree. If OP has lead acid batteries then triple the capacity is needing for the continuous load he's looking for. A great moment to upgrade to lithium I think.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:43   #8

Interesting and thanks for the input ... do you know what would happen to my batteries with such a draw on it? Is sulfating the result from a large load on lead acid batteries?

Also, when you say 10% of storage ... so for my bank of 450ah ... i'd not want to exceed 45amps for any length of time?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:51   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
well, several reasons. the most important of which is portability.

- It doesn't increase the value of my boat to add it, so I'd like to have to ability to take it with me when/if I change boats
- non portable units are a reasonably large installation process (speaking from experience on a prior boat)
- space ... I have lazerette space, but don't have space where I'd need to mount a permanent unit, not to mention requiring access to through hulls... etc
- time ... I don't want to spend 3+ hrs ever 5 days making water when i can do it in one hour

Back to question at hand ... how does a large draw for an hour impact the longevity of deep cycle lead acid batteries?
I agree with others above. The draw on a Lead acid/agm battery bank of that size will put a serious dent in you battery's and their life expectancy. Going Lith is great but the costs of going that direction for a watewrmakwer doesn't make sense financially. Go 12 volt and you can run it off alternators, genset, solar or directly from your battery bank at zero extra expense and twice the energy savings. It will be far more valuable on the re-sale than a portable unit will be. Go AC and you'll be tied to your genset.
Also, what is the rest of your daily amp/hr. budget for your other electrical needs?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:51   #10

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I am no expert at this, but I think it comes down to your charging regimen. If you draw down 100amps like that every 5th day, and then during the 5 days you bring the batteries back to 100% charge, and otherwise don't tax them greatly during that 5 days, you should be fine in my opinion.

However, if you never charge above 80%, you will be shortening the life if your batteries (by how much I could not tell you).
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:02   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Given the infrequent use of the watermaker, if you choose times when the solar/wind plus the engine is running and also charging at a reasonable rate, then the net draw from the batteries would be say less than ~50A, so for 1 hour you would draw down of the order of 10% of the capacity. A C of 0.1 seems eminently doable to me. I routinely heat the water via the inverter drawing 100A for 20 kinutes or more on 360Ahr with 480W of solar without running the engine.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

450-105 = 77% - House 20% = 57% = NO PROBLEM for good FLA.
Try to reduce House while you make water
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:23   #13

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

Thanks
Not if you run a generator
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:33   #14

That's a big draw. On everything. You dont even remotely need that big a water maker. 37 GPH?
The simplicity of a smaller 12V or even AC system that you run when everything is charging well would be great. Those windy or sunny days you can run the low draw system and never even know it while keeping the tanks topped up.
I converted a 1.5 HP AC system to engine drive. I just filled the tanks when motoring.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:34   #15

great information, like the folks who do the same thing.

on good wind and solar days, it's not uncommon to see 20+ amps going into the batteries coupled with a nice boost in voltage.

So on good wind and solar days, it seems very doable.

Boat does have a 100amp alternator with balmar regulator, so it does put out some serious charge as well for the not so sunny/windy days.

giving me stuff to think about.

Tags
batteries, raw water, solar, water, watermaker, wind