Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2020, 04:32   #1

Kohler marine genset

I need a 6kw genset for my monohull, Shearwater 45. I have found a used Kohler 6EOD. Has any body had experience of a Kohler genset? Belt driven overhead cam???
Terry Usher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 05:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Kohler marine genset

Koehler is one of the best known brands, and known for quality, unless it were nearly new I’d change that belt before installation when it was easy to do, as well as maybe the impeller, adjust the valves, inspect the exhaust elbow and any other scheduled maintenance.
It’s so much easier to work on a generator sitting on a table as opposed to being stuffed in a boat.
But many more modern engines are belt driven cams, it’s very common, and many newer designs are non interference, meaning that if the belt breaks nothing is hurt, depending on whether it’s a non interference design or not would really determine how worried about that belt I would be.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 06:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Terry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Koehler is one of the best known brands, and known for quality ...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 23:30   #4

If that generator has a Lombardini prime mover you would be wise to avoid buying it, there have been previous posts on this and other forums about Paguro and Kohler using this engine by inconvenienced owners.
Kohler was in the top 3 US marine genset assemblers, probably #1 until they started the alliance with the Italian engine supplier.
Try for a Northern lights 673, very smooth and quiet. Onan is also a good choice, they use Kubota engines in the small output range.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 04:05   #5

Thanks guys for your opinions on Kohler gensets. I'm a great fan of Kubota so think I should continue my search in that direction. Come to think of it, a 5kw 2 cylinder is what came out so 3 cylinder is probably overkill anyway. The price was the main attraction! A runner at @$1800 with 700 hours.
Terry Usher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 05:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have a Kohler 6.5/8EFOZ, from about 2000. It has a Yanmar three cylinder 1000cc engine and it's fantastic. Bulletproof over 10 years in my ownership with the only problems being operating/maintenance errors of mine.

I do however agree with previous comments about the Lombardini engine, if that's what the 6EOD has (??). If it's a Yanmar, then I say go for it, but otherwise you would be better off with the Northern Lights.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 06:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In all honestly whatever engine you may be better off with a NL. But it’s going to cost more.
If your a fan of Kubota, Nexgen uses Kubota engines, but runs than at a mid range speed, higher than 1800.
They are assembled in Jacksonville Fl.

$1800 if it looks good and isn’t corroded, I’d look real hard, is it in a sound enclosure?
Old 27-04-2020, 06:28   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I looked at the Kohler manual and on page 34 it refers to the "engine assembly" as a Perkins 403c-07. I assume that means it is a Perkins.

https://www.atlantismarine.co.uk/Images/User/tp6268.pdf
Old 27-04-2020, 06:57   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
In all honestly whatever engine you may be better off with a NL. But it’s going to cost more.
If your a fan of Kubota, Nexgen uses Kubota engines, but runs than at a mid range speed, higher than 1800.
They are assembled in Jacksonville Fl.

$1800 if it looks good and isn’t corroded, I’d look real hard, is it in a sound enclosure?

Yeah, $1800 is a deal. I might overlook the Italian engine for that kind of money. That's about 1/6 of the price of a new Northern Lights.

As A64 said, the Nexgen is also worth looking at. Much cheaper, much lighter, and much more compact than the heavy duty gens, while not making the hysterical screech of the high speed gens like Fischer Panda. The big breakpoint for going heavy duty or not is whether you plan to run it for long periods at a time, or whether you will be mostly just charging batts and shutting it down. If you will be using it to run air conditioning, then you really want a heavy duty one. Otherwise, many will be fine with something like the NexGen. I have no direct experience with NexGen, but I love the simplicity compared to Rube Goldberg engineered generators like the Fisher Panda, and have heard nothing but rave reviews from owners.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 27-04-2020, 07:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sand Crab says it’s a Perkins, surely a call to a dealer would tell.
The Nexgens are becoming more and more common, and so far I’ve not run into someone who has worn one out. They are I believe louder, but my boat has a large tall flat stern and I believe that increases noise level if the exhaust is in the stern as mine is, my main engine’s exhaust is quite loud too, and I believe the stern shape amplifies it, so maybe the Nexgen’s aren’t louder, just mine is.

No generator manufacturer actually does a whole lot of manufacturing they usually buy a motor from one supplier, a generator head from another and do Marinize and make sound enclosures etc, but the heart is bought.

Still for $1,800 unless it’s a rust bucket I’d buy it, 700 hours is just break-in hours.
Old 27-04-2020, 07:23   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sand Crab says it’s a Perkins, surely a call to a dealer would tell.
The Nexgens are becoming more and more common, and so far I’ve not run into someone who has worn one out. They are I believe louder, but my boat has a large tall flat stern and I believe that increases noise level if the exhaust is in the stern as mine is, my main engine’s exhaust is quite loud too, and I believe the stern shape amplifies it, so maybe the Nexgen’s aren’t louder, just mine is.

No generator manufacturer actually does a whole lot of manufacturing they usually buy a motor from one supplier, a generator head from another and do Marinize and make sound enclosures etc, but the heart is bought.

Still for $1,800 unless it’s a rust bucket I’d buy it, 700 hours is just break-in hours.

My Kohler had 160 hours on it when I bought my boat, which was 8 years old at the time. Previous owner didn't anchor out much . Now 2132 and going strong.

Heavy duty generator has a really big advantage over other types where noise and vibration is concerned -- and that is what makes it tolerable to run them continuously, where that kind of duty is required. For just intermittent use charging batts, something like the NexGen ought to be fine.

I don't really need a heavy duty generator for my use, but since the boat came with it, I'm not complaining. The better storage you have, the less important these qualities are. With lithium batteries, you might not really need a generator at all -- just a jumbo alternator.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-04-2020, 19:40   #12

Hey , don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of Kohler generators but what caught my attention was the OP’s reference to “ Belt driven overhead cam”, none of the Yanmar’s or Kubotas in ordinary use have this......and Kohler is very coy about mentioning the addition of this engine to the marine range.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 01:37   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Hey , don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of Kohler generators but what caught my attention was the OP’s reference to “ Belt driven overhead cam”, none of the Yanmar’s or Kubotas in ordinary use have this......and Kohler is very coy about mentioning the addition of this engine to the marine range.

The only small 3 cylinder diesel with a belt driven camshaft that I know of is the Lombardini. A good friend of mine just bought one of those to put in his harbor skiff.

I guess we can't really judge this engine without a good sample of data from real life experience. Maybe it's OK. I do know that lots of people have bad experiences with Paguro and other Italian generators. I own an Italian outboard engine which is not impressively constructed or engineered. But it might be mere prejudice to assume that these Lombardini engines are not good. The fact of the belt driven cam by itself would not be a deal breaker for me, although it certainly wouldn't be my preference.

Is Perkins stencil branding Lombardinis? Or is the OP maybe mistaken about the existence of the cam belt? This: https://www.perkins.com/en_GB/produc...eries/403.html

Does not look like it has an overhead cam at all, and doesn't look like a Lombardini. I'm pretty sure from the shape of that valve cover that this is a pushrod engine.
Walt Whitman
Old 28-04-2020, 06:17   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Does not look like it has an overhead cam at all, and doesn't look like a Lombardini. I'm pretty sure from the shape of that valve cover that this is a pushrod engine.

Yup, page 14 shows pushrods in the parts list.
Page 15 shows"camshaft and gears"

I'm not an ace mechanic but isn't that a gear driven cam? I can't find a belt in the parts list.
https://www.atlantismarine.co.uk/Images/User/tp6268.pdf
Old 28-04-2020, 06:23   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That is a pushrod actuated valves and gear driven cam, and helical gears at that.
Helical is quieter, and gears last essentially forever.

Tags
marine