Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 14:12   #1

Kohler 8KW Generator

I have a 1989 Carver 4207 with a Kohler 8KW Diesel Generator. I don't have the manual nor any diagrams showing the location of the zinc(s). Any help would be appreciated.
mikekomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 14:32   #2

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: Kohler 8KW Generator

::

Pardon my wonder. Zinc dedicated to a genset? I thought the whole electrical system was tied together and the zinc helps the metal under the water not to have galvanic corrosion as the zinc dissipates.

It's a day of learning as I'm bed ridden on this rainy day.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 14:45   #3

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomm View Post
I have a 1989 Carver 4207 with a Kohler 8KW Diesel Generator. I don't have the manual nor any diagrams showing the location of the zinc(s). Any help would be appreciated.
Attached is a page from manual for a newer Kohler Generator. It could be a pencil anode plug in the heat exchanger.

Dirk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TP6053.pdf (141.2 KB, 241 views)
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 04:49   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

If it's a model 8EOZ, the zinc is near the lower right front, just underneath the leading edge of the heat exchangers. If you PM my your e-mail address, I can send you the service manual and the parts manual.

-Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 03:35   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post
::

Pardon my wonder. Zinc dedicated to a genset? I thought the whole electrical system was tied together and the zinc helps the metal under the water not to have galvanic corrosion as the zinc dissipates.

It's a day of learning as I'm bed ridden on this rainy day.

Many inboard engines and generators have pencil zincs inside the cooling system.

The Kohler diesel generators have them inserted inside the heat exchanger, which is a heavy copper pipe like thing slung underneath the front of the engine.

However, I would bet dollars to donuts that the OP has a petrol/gasoline powered Kohler generator, which is a completely different unit. It would be good for him to download a service or operators manual.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 09:26   #6

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Many inboard engines and generators have pencil zincs inside the cooling system.

The Kohler diesel generators have them inserted inside the heat exchanger, which is a heavy copper pipe like thing slung underneath the front of the engine.

However, I would bet dollars to donuts that the OP has a petrol/gasoline powered Kohler generator, which is a completely different unit. It would be good for him to download a service or operators manual.
I see. Makes sence copper to other metal want something there as well to sacrifice the. The main colling system and dissimilar metals. Ty.

Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator