Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 22:58   #1

Boat: naver 29
kill switch problem

The boat went back in the water last weekend,the crane dropped her in then i went below to start the engine to take her back to the slip and all i got was a click.
The last time the engine was started was when i winterised it and there were no problem.checked all the obvious things -batteries fully charged etc-and still nothing except a click from the solenoid,i started researching how to test the solenoid and starter motor but something was nagging me.
I'd tried starting with the kill switch in the off and on positions and got a click in both positions which shouldn't happen so i put a srewdriver across the terminals,tried again and it burst into life.
For the moment i have the kill switch bypassed but what could be the problem?does it just need replacing? I relocated both the engine and house kill switches over winter as they were in awkward positions to access-have i done something in this process?

edit-i wonder if the switches have different current ratings and i inadvertantly connected them wrong?-the house bank still works fine
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 23:07   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: kill switch problem

Perhaps the kill switch is full of corrosion - so it is neither on or off, just "partially on" regardless of it's position.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 23:10   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Depending on the make a model engine you can probably just replace the eso solenoid.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 23:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Perhaps the kill switch is full of corrosion - so it is neither on or off, just "partially on" regardless of it's position.

possibly,i'll see if its possible to disassemble and inspect this weekend
Old 01-05-2018, 23:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Depending on the make a model engine you can probably just replace the eso solenoid.

its a yanmar 2gm20f-i'll research eso solenoid
Old 01-05-2018, 23:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
its a yanmar 2gm20f-i'll research eso solenoid
Highly unlikely you will have eso solenoid (stop solenoid) with a 2GM20F unless it was added aftermarket as a custom fit.

Does you existing switch stop the engine when running or just prevent it from starting until the switch is in the correct position?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-05-2018, 23:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Highly unlikely you will have eso solenoid (stop solenoid) with a 2GM20F unless it was added aftermarket as a custom fit.

Does you existing switch stop the engine when running or just prevent it from starting until the switch is in the correct position?
not sure,i've never tried it that way, it just cuts the power from the battery as far as i can tell.

my normal procedure for shutting it down is to turn off the key on the engine start panel (does nothing when running except prevent the buzzer from going off) then i move the sliding switch (fuel cutoff i think) to stop-engine stops,then turn off the battery power kill switch at some point before leaving the boat.
Old 01-05-2018, 23:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
not sure,i've never tried it that way, it just cuts the power from the battery as far as i can tell.

my normal procedure for shutting it down is to turn off the key on the engine start panel (does nothing when running except prevent the buzzer from going off) then i move the sliding switch (fuel cutoff i think) to stop-engine stops,then turn off the battery power kill switch at some point before leaving the boat.
OK, then you definitely don't have a eso solenoid!

Go back to looking at the inside of the kill switch or just replace it.

FWIW, if your 2GM20F has the standard Yanmar wiring harness, turning the key off on the Yanmar panel will also turn off the alternator output by removing power to the field circuit.