Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2021, 17:48   #91

Re: Just completed upgrade from AGM to Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaabor View Post
I'm used to the "marine" version of things being more expensive but if I understand AH at all the 8000 AH battery in my car is worth about 4 times what I paid for entire car if I go by the marine price. Anybody bored enough to explain the apples and oranges in this comparison?

8000ah car battery? What kind of car?

Answer: don't buy batteries at a marine store. Ever.

Battery makers actually sell their batteries at non-marine stores. Marine stores slap their labels on other people's products and mark the up to a ridiculous extent.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 18:37   #92

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I’m thinking of switching to lithium too. For those of you who have more of a DIY approach to this sort of thing, Will Prowse has an EXCELLENT YouTube series about all things lithium, including controllers, solar panels, sources of LiFePO4 batteries, BMSs, inverter/chargers, etc. He’s an RVer, but most of what he features is applicable to marine stuff too. I have no connection to him at all, but have learned a lot from watching his videos. He routinely disassembles LiFePO4 batteries to see what’s inside that plastic case - sometimes good, sometimes less so.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 03:37   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
I am choosing options on a new boat being built for me now (Completion this December!) and have looked at most of the electrical options.... I will say this; if the faster charging numbers are accurate as stated in this thread, then the numbers say 1200 hours a year on your genny compared to 244. For me, the cost of a genny works out to about $1 and hour and then fuel is about $3 (.8 GPH x $3.75 a gallon) so at $4 an hour use cost...... Cheers, Scott
Scott, there might be another advantage if your future boat doesn't have a genny. The faster charging means that you are not sat watching FLA or AGM batteries drop to a trickle for the last 10-15% even if more power is available. Or worse still not reaching fully charged frequently. So LFP don't need to be fully charged, but if the bank is full, well that's a full bank to play with not 85% and a cut off 50% ish.

I watched 18A go into the LFP and only limited due to the 20A max from MPPT, suddenly stop. Battery full and MPPT dropped to a low float voltage just supplying house loads of 2A. Previously that would have dragged on for a long time with the current dropping slowly down in single figures.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 05:21   #94

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Scott, there might be another advantage if your future boat doesn't have a genny. The faster charging means that you are not sat watching FLA or AGM batteries drop to a trickle for the last 10-15% even if more power is available. Or worse still not reaching fully charged frequently. So LFP don't need to be fully charged, but if the bank is full, well that's a full bank to play with not 85% and a cut off 50% ish.

I watched 18A go into the LFP and only limited due to the 20A max from MPPT, suddenly stop. Battery full and MPPT dropped to a low float voltage just supplying house loads of 2A. Previously that would have dragged on for a long time with the current dropping slowly down in single figures.

Pete

I would think the charge curve and PSOC tolerance helps more if you have a genset but no solar. Topping off lead acid with solar is no big deal, but trying to get it topped off with a genset sucks.

In general, the bigger the boat, the smaller the advantages of lithium in my mind (unless you have tons of electric needs and want to rarely or never run a genset). Bigger boats are less likely to care about the weight of a big lead acid bank. Bigger boats also tend to have more space for big solar setups, etc. making it easier to take good care of the lead acid batteries.

On my own boat, I'm staying AGM for now for a couple of reasons: I'd love the lighter weight of lithium (or extra capacity at the same weight), but it's a lot of cost and would require complicating my charging setup a bit more (would need to do something about the internally regulated alternators and ACRs for engine charging). Plus my systems are already capable of taking decent care of lead acid and not abusing them with excessive PSOC.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 07:05   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
In general, the bigger the boat, the smaller the advantages of lithium in my mind (unless you have tons of electric needs and want to rarely or never run a genset). Bigger boats are less likely to care about the weight of a big lead acid bank. Bigger boats also tend to have more space for big solar setups, etc. making it easier to take good care of the lead acid batteries.
Until recently I hadn't really appreciated the advantages to a smaller yacht.

Sure on a large yacht being able to run the genny, make water, do laundry and charge the batteries first thing before "kicking back for a cold one" makes LFP ideal for reducing the engine run time.

For the smaller yacht there are also some real advantages in weight saving and enabling you to run main electric items like the toaster, induction hub, wife's hair dryer etc for the first time away from shore power. Try even a medium sized inverter off a pair of FLA and the voltage drop will be horrible, the inverter liable to trip and you really aren't doing the batteries any good.

We have started cautiously with a LFP Hybrid bank of 205Ah to see how this goes during the summer, whilst having room to expand if we need more capacity next winter. When not on board the LFP is disconnected so the solar doesn't cook it, but leaves the FLA battery to run the bilge pump etc. This was also the trigger to move the house bank out of the engine space which regularly reached 32'c even in the UK.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AL JPG.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	239213  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AL.pdf (274.5 KB, 16 views)
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 07:12   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Try even a medium sized inverter off a pair of FLA and the voltage drop will be horrible, the inverter liable to trip and you really aren't doing the batteries any good.

Right there is why I've got AGMs. I'd have to do some work on my house bank mounting spot to make it suitable for FLA anyway, and gel is no better than FLA at handling short bursts of heavy load. My house bank runs the windlass as well as the inverter, so the AGMs do a better job of dealing with those bursts of heavy load (bank is 415ah at 12v). Lithium would be even better still, but the AGMs are sufficient in that department.
Old 26-05-2021, 08:32   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

One thing I would like to ask .
Does anyone know of a person that ever has switched from lifepo4 to any varient chemistry of lead acid batteries?

Me neither .
Old 26-05-2021, 09:50   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
One thing I would like to ask .
Does anyone know of a person that ever has switched from lifepo4 to any varient chemistry of lead acid batteries?

Me neither .
It's unlikely. Most of lead's advantages are around cost and systems simplicity, so once you get a setup together that works well with lithium, there would be little reason to switch to lead.

Tags
agm