Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 09:01   #1

Boat: Beneteau 411
Jumper between batteries 1 & 2?

Does anyone know why I have a jumper on the positive battery switches? It is after the switch. With this configuration it looks like I could disconnect my start battery totally and everything would still work. However, if I use too much power and have not disconnected it both batteries would be dead. I'm thinking it should be removed, or at least replaced with a switch. However I then don't know how the house battery would charge. Do I just need to disconnect the start battery any time I'm not running the engine? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1424624488.437926.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	97705

This is on a 2002 Beneteau 411.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
apacit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 15:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Jumper between batteries 1 & 2?

A wiring sketch would help.

I see two switches and presume the upper post is the switch output and leads to the fuse.

That means the lower posts are from the batteries? If so then either switch will isolate its respective bank.

In terms of charging you need to determine on which circuit the charging supply is attached. A common method is downstream of the switch - In that way whichever battery(ies) is switched on gets charged. The risk is that if both switches are off you could have an alternator field runaway and fry the alternator.

A better charging method is to have the charge supply on the upstream side of the house and a BlueSeas ACR supplying the start bank.

This post is a bit speculative as I don't really know where all those wires go...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 21:13   #3

it's probably so the alternator can charge both banks while running and both swtiches are on. you'd have to shut the engine switch off when ever the boat is not running. or drain the engine battery. I have seen this on a few Beneteaus

if that is what it is for. I would remove jumper and install acr instead.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 21:32   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Without labels or a sketch this is a little difficult. But...

It looks like the large red wire to the right comes into the top of one of your switches. Then the jumper you mentioned, then it looks like a smaller red wiring looping around to the left and coming back to the bottom fuse. So, I'd guess that the large red wire on the right comes from the alternator.

You can close both switches at the same time, in that case your batteries are joined together and essentially make one big bank. Or, you can close one or the other, and that battery is then used to supply the house loads, and is the one getting charged.

Very common arrangement, especially in older boats. You start the engine with only the house switch closed (assuming the starting battery is connected to the engine controls regardless of the switch position), let the alternator come up to speed, then close the starting battery switch. Just before you shut down you open the starting battery switch again.

As mentioned above, an ACR can take the place of the jumper and automate the joining of the two banks while charging, and the disconnection of same when charging stops. Personally I use switches myself, but you have to be diligent of opening the starting battery switch whenever you shut down the charging system.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 07:52   #5

Thanks for your responses! Sorry I didn't post the diagram, but it wasn't too pretty... However, you did answer my question well. I was not aware of the ACR device. It sounds like the solution. I'll check it out and use the switch until I get on installed.

Thanks and safe travels,
John

Old 23-02-2015, 08:02   #6

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacit View Post
Does anyone know why I have a jumper on the positive battery switches? (snip)

This seems similar to the Sunsail/Moorings setups I am familiar with, minus a relay. Was this boat chartered by Sunsail/Moorings in its early life?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:35   #7

No it was never chartered. It has had a few owners though.

Old 23-02-2015, 09:18   #8

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacit View Post
Does anyone know why I have a jumper on the positive battery switches? It is after the switch. With this configuration it looks like I could disconnect my start battery totally and everything would still work. However, if I use too much power and have not disconnected it both batteries would be dead. I'm thinking it should be removed, or at least replaced with a switch. However I then don't know how the house battery would charge. Do I just need to disconnect the start battery any time I'm not running the engine? Attachment 97705

Thanks!

I think your initial thought is right. Someone made a mistake and connected the two banks permanently. You could add a third switch and make a good system out of this. I would suggest you read this post on another forum. 1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

My OCD is getting to me with this entire setup. I can't believe this boat is a year newer than mine. I don't like the terminals or wire sizes that were used. You look to be under fused too. Do you blow fuses often? Also, the fuses look to be in the wrong location (too far from the batteries). Why is there a fuse on the negative side? Ugh, I think one of your POs created some problems for you.

Good luck,

Jesse
Old 23-02-2015, 09:27   #9

Lots of attempts to help, but...

Pictures of wiring without a wiring diagram is simply asking for trouble. I would not even venture to guess, 'cuz I could mislead you.

Make a wiring diagram and then come back. Actually, if you do a wiring diagram, you'll most likely answer your own question.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote