Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 14:37   #1

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity
IstaBreeze 500.... need help, who´s got experience...

Hi to all
In order to independance my power source from the engine while cruising, I have been evaluationg and after information from here and other Forums I decided for the IstaBreeze 500. The unit arrived and we´ve installed it already. The installation guidelines were poor, very poor; basically they say level the thing out, install the battery connection + to +, - to -, the three lines coming down from the generator does not matter in the order they go. So, we´ve done as instructed. It has 2 lights, a red one for Action and a orange one for Light on, charging battery, Light off, battery full and braking.

Well, we had so far already 30 miles gusts in the Gulf of Mexico and the thing does very sparely turn. It more likely twists around and goes wild, then actually turning the generator.

I´ve asked the factory (IstaBreeze || Wind Turbine) and they´re response was, Thank you for the information and it should have a break installed! I suspect they did not understand my German, since they are Turkish....

Who had experience with the installation of a Istabreeze 500 and had maybe the same experience.... is it like, that the three wires coming down do not matter in what secuence?
Does the unit may has some transportation blocking, which we haven´t been made aware by the manufacturer?
The whole thing seems is blocked, who knows how to unblock the generator?

Many thanks to all of your information and experiences!
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:13   #2

Re: IstaBreeze 500.... need help, who´s got experience...

I don't have any experience with the IstaBreeze 500, in fact until I decided to install an Apollo 550 wind turbine (WT) 3 months ago, I didn't know anything about wind turbines. I have been using my WT for about 2 weeks and did some bench testing for 2 weeks before that. The Apollo 550 has 3 output wires that deliver AC power. I connected those 3 wires to the input side of an AC/DC rectifier. The sequence of the 3 wires could be anything. The rectifier had a 2 lead DC output. I used a drill motor to spin the WT 1000 rpm and it produced 6.5 amps while charging a 12V battery. When I installed the WT (with a 4.5 foot dia blades, rectifier and a amp/volt meter) on to my travel trailer, in parallel with an existing 250W solar system, I only got 0.3 to 0.7 amps in 6 to 23 knots of wind. There is 10.8V between any two of the 3 WT output wires during the 6 to 23 knots. I don't know why I have such low output and am taking measurements attempting to find out. Any suggestions and data you have collected would be appreciated.
windabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:31   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

It makes no difference on the three wires from the generator, they are AC.

What is your battery voltage? The controller has the automatic brake switch which will shut down the generator if it thinks your batteries are full. You can check this, very carefully, by disconnecting the AC wires from the controller. This will also disconnect the brake switch. If the generator starts to spin you should either have a helper turn it away from the wind and then re-connect, or short the wires together to activate the brake. If the generator starts to spin these wires will be live, so be very careful.

I do not want to offend, but are you sure the blades are connected to the hub in the correct direction?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 05:33   #4

I have made the same test with the drill and got no output at all. The action lamp on the regulator of the WT isd always on, even if the WT is not connected ?????? The manufacturer says will help, but I wann go sail not do a GREEN ENERGY Project. I´m getting tired of these companies. Now the company Defender Marine in the USA are to deliver the Inflatable and the Outbord and put the delivery on 30-60 day????? What kind of companies are these?? Just discounters or what..... Big Internet companies in Marine Business seem to be a fraud all over.....
Old 23-03-2013, 19:43   #5

IstaBreeze is definitely a fraud. I have started an Internet campaign and now numerous customers come up asking the company to clear, why their product does not produce energy.....the company does not even respond......legal prosecution is under way....
Old 08-05-2017, 01:20   #6

hey guys,

i purchase IstaBreeze 500 from Germany and i just install it last week with installation was every thing smooth but the out put power it giving me only 5.5 Max , please advice as im new to wind turbine . i haired a lot about IstaBreeze but its really non of product is working ?
defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, defender.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender View Post
hey guys,

i purchase IstaBreeze 500 from Germany and i just install it last week with installation was every thing smooth but the out put power it giving me only 5.5 Max , please advice as im new to wind turbine . i haired a lot about IstaBreeze but its really non of product is working ?
Apparently fraud, as reported above. I just wonder how they survived YEARS without prosecution...