Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2021, 18:43   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
Is there a standard or recommend 12v outlet/connector

I’m looking to add some 12v DC outlets to my boat and replace some of those bloody awful cigar lighter style ones with something better. This is in addition to replacing a couple of the cigar lighter outlets with USB A and C outlets.

The guy on Fair Isle seems to like the XT60 connectors.

Is there anything like a standard (ha) or commonly used connector?

I want something I can panel mount and put in an outlet box.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 19:12   #2

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35
Re: Is there a standard or recommend 12v outlet/connector

Pretty much every 12V convenience receptacle I’ve seen is one of those cigar lighters. If you change your standard I would make an adapter to plug into it with a cigar lighter on one end.

My top 2 suggestions for a new standard would be deans connectors or NMEA+power. With the 2nd option you can plug some adapters into it and into your computer if you just want to see your gps location in openCPN or whatever. Anyway deans are super good, and NMEA+power would give you more options. Either way you’ll be splicing a lot of connectors onto the random 12V junk you buy.
Old 21-05-2021, 19:24   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I used a trolling motor panel mount (MinnKota type) in my cockpit for the wheel pilot. You can also look into solar panel connectors. Weatherpak connectors, like the wiring under the hood of your car, are nice and weatherproof, but are sort of wimpy.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 19:47   #4

Certainly the "cigar lighter" socket is very much an obsolete technology, and it should just go away.

On our boat the French builder adapted a three prong "Type N" plug for DC use. (+ to the center pin, neg to the two outside ones)

This is a plug normally used for household AC current in Italy and few other places. Compact, and suitable for up to 16A. It seems a good solution for a place where there really hasn't been a good standard come to popular use. They can be a little hard to source in the USA, but not impossible. All our fans, and other 12V plug-in things use these. I guess if we ever have a crew member from Italy, we'll have to warn him that what look to him like AC outlets are not!

There are several other AC plugs used around the world that could similarly be adapted. As long as they are fused and rated to carry the current, and can not be confused with other power sources onboard, anything would work.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 09:10   #5

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Suggest using Perko Watertight Deck Connections are rated 15 amps at 12, 24, 32 volts. Polarized double contact connector. 1-5/8in diameter, 1-3/16in high. Uses #6 screws. Flange gasket with integral waterproof cap for base when plug is removed. Not ignition protected. Conforms to U.S.C.G. electrical standards. Chrome plated.

I have used these inside and left the waterproof cap off. They are readily available at most marine supply outlets. Not inexpensive but worth it to me.
Cheers
Moderation II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 09:35   #6

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

For interior locations and the ubiquity of USB charging for low-voltage devices, I have liberally sprinkled both 12Vdc and 110Vac USB charging outlets around my boat.
I have one at my helm which is protected by a rubber boot. So far it seems to be doing its job, but I am cruising currently in a dry climate
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 09:46   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
I used a trolling motor panel mount (MinnKota type) in my cockpit for the wheel pilot. You can also look into solar panel connectors. Weatherpak connectors, like the wiring under the hood of your car, are nice and weatherproof, but are sort of wimpy.
I too have installed trolling motor plugs for devices that draw more than the barrel connectors can handle, such as my electric snorkel compressor, electric ATV winch, etc.

In the cabin I've installed the combo barrel plug/USB 12v chargers in every stateroom, in the cockpit, and even the heads.

With USB connectors being used more and more to recharge battery powered devices (I love rechargeable flashlights) and provide power for low draw devices, I haven't seen or used a barrel connector in a long time!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 09:54   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

I'm slowly moving away form 12V cig. plugs as I really don't like them. I'm moving towards Anderson Power Pole plugs (used by a lot of Ham Guys as far as I can tell). https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...-sb-connectors

I do have a Anderson -> Cig adapters so those older devices still work
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 10:56   #9

Boat: Colegate 26

A lot of consumer electronics that are 12vDC come with a tiny 110vAC to 12vDC transformer and have a 5.5mm barrel connector on the device. Honestly, that could really work assuming the amps are going to stay low on your connected devices. But you'd have to make your own cables and such.

I really don't think there's much of a problem with the 12v "cigarette outlet", though. If anything I'd ditch the 12v all together and go to 24 or 48 volts for the boat.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 10:56   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"Is there anything like a standard (ha) or commonly used connector?"
Good question. Yes. The cigar lighter type we all love to hate...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 11:01   #11

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

You might consider the Powerlet dc connectors. They are used on BMW motorcycles which is where I encountered them. They are bayonet type connectors, but will not loosen themselves like typical lighter connectors.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 11:04   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

How about DIN 4165? They are common on motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4165

Not new.

Old 22-05-2021, 11:12   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I have had a 20 amp cigar socket installed onboard. You can also get cigar sockets for motorbikes which are fairly weatherproof. I had a chrome 2 pin screw in type socket installed in the cockpit to run a "steamer scarer" portable searchlight which is about as weatherproof as things get I believe: Like this: https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/elect...5&f_price=0-45. I have seen them rated to 5 amps.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 12:17   #14

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

You can adapt practically anything to a cig lighter, but not the other way around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U4ZZPK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0112KJ09S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WC3397Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YHRTGM9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJTT9WG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_GGZQY6G3G0DXNXJSBKGX
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 13:15   #15

Tried all good ideas and just ongoing PITA.
I'm with Bill Seal, Marinco trolling motor charging outlets. No dramas in comparison to all the other 'solutions' over many years. Converted all stuff on boat to matching plugs ,left a couple of cigar lighter type outlets for stray devices and mad up a couple of adaptor leads cigar- Marinco to solve odd incompatibility issue. 3 pins so can even use when you have mixed voltage of 12 and 24v as we had on last boat.

Not cheap but solves problem of finding things turned off by plug coming out when all stops working.
fnq grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men